own bench space in pre-clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoF27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My good friend who graduated from d-school a few years ago told me that it was very important to find out whether you had your own bench space in preclinic because there would be times when you would want to practice things after-hours and it would be complicated if you were sharing the space with someone. Does anyone know which schools make you share preclinic bench space? In particular, does Columbia (one of my top contenders at this point...)?

Members don't see this ad.

well, we get our own benchspace with locked drawers for instruments (sorted alphabetically) but at the same time, we do share our benchspace with upperclassmen (mainly 2nd years). Practicing after hours usually isn't a problem though (if someone's at your seat, you can always borrow another. The lab is normally fairly empty).

At Pitt you are provided with essentially a giant tackle box with which you can carry all your preclinic supplies (read: stuff 'em in until the box is too heavy to carry). The sim clinic is open at specific times (evenings mostly) for you to practice and so you can go and work at any station you like. Unfortunately, the instructors have not organized things amoungst themselves to allow you to keep the same station from one course to the next, so right now I have a different station for Ortho, Pedo, RPD, FPD, and Endo. But it's really not as big a deal as you'd think given that we are used to packing things up after each session anyway, and each of the little stations is essentially identical. Also, none of the sessions is consecutive so its not like we have to pick up and move stations halfway through the day.

Members don't see this ad :)
drawers, lockers at temple for all your crap. Shared with 2nd year, but I have never even seen the guy who shares my work space and rarely is the lab busy after hours. A nice setup.

damn i'm surprised you guys say that your labs arn't that busy. i feel like our lab is always busy, mainly with second years and then upper classmen who need to prepare labwork for patients in clinic. as a first year i wasn't in the lab that much, but as a second year we spend a ton of time in there. in fact i'm just about out the door to wax-up/cast a 3 unit bridge and do some damn surveying for an rpd case.

its interesting how pre-clinic is setup at other school sharing workstation between 1st and 2nd years..

anyways right now the setup at vcu is that 1st years have their own and 2nd years have their own pre-clinic labs. we dont' share bench spaces, and each bench has its own lockers

not sure how that is going to pan out next year as vcu is getting new preclinic labs