oxidation state

Started by MoooShuuu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MoooShuuu

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry dumb question:

when I do the oxidation state forAl in Al(OH)4- I get -3 and the answer is +3. What am I doing wrong?
 
sorry dumb question:

when I do the oxidation state forAl in Al(OH)4- I get -3 and the answer is +3. What am I doing wrong?

This is the way I used to do it:

[Al (OH)4 ]-

Thus the sum of Al + 4(OH-) = -1
if we are looking for Al, we substitute it for x
x + 4(OH-) = -1
since we know OH- has an overall oxidation state of -1, we can plug this in
x + 4(-1) = -1
x - 4 = - 1
now you must ADD + 4 to each side
x - 4 + 4 = -1 + 4
x = +3

If you cant do something, take it back to the basics and work through it....
 
This is the way I used to do it:

[Al (OH)4 ]-

Thus the sum of Al + 4(OH-) = -1
if we are looking for Al, we substitute it for x
x + 4(OH-) = -1
since we know OH- has an overall oxidation state of -1, we can plug this in
x + 4(-1) = -1
x - 4 = - 1
now you must ADD + 4 to each side
x - 4 + 4 = -1 + 4
x = +3

If you cant do something, take it back to the basics and work through it....
 
we should not consider oxidation state of overall (OH) as -1. We should calculate separetely .
[Al(OH)4]-
let us consider oxidation state of Al is x
the oxidation state of O is -2 so for O4= 4(-2)=-8
the oxidation state of H is +1 so for H4 = 4(+1)=4
add and equate this to -1
x-8+4=-1
x-4=-1
x=+3
 
study.jpg
Hope this helps.

Dr Romano
 
Last edited: