oxymoron

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beth_yu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for an hour on topics about personal statement and essays and I found none!!!

Ok, I have a great googling skill but on SDN, my skill is just useless
Can someone help!!! or at least teach me how to find it...

Oh BTW that oxymoron is me...

+pissed+
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Beth,

Not sure about threads on SDN. One place where I got lots of helpful hints for the personal Stmts was ?Essay Edge? web site. It was one of the essay help sites... They had a free online 'course' about personal stmnt writing. Very helpful, IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
well,
I spent an hour searching and found none. If that's not oxymoron, then what does one call that?

Ah , I was angry at myself...hence the title oxymoron... yes, a lot of self-flagellation here nowadays..

Oh BTW, the standard personal statement is about 1000+ words right?

Originally posted by Beth_yu
well,
I spent an hour searching and found none. If that's not oxymoron, then what does one call that?

Ah , I was angry at myself...hence the title oxymoron... yes, a lot of self-flagellation here nowadays..

I think that just makes you a regular ol' *****.

HTH

well,

:confused: :confused:

Examples of oxymorons...

giant shrimp
icy hot
adult male :)
crash landing
deliberate mistake
good grief
hell's angels
idiot savant
virtual reality
mutually exclusive

Can't think of anymore right now. I have a journal club presentation tomorrow and I'm wasting time on SDN...I'm such a slacker. :(

your personal statement is exactly 5300 characters with spaces...

what type of information about personal statements were you looking for?

Originally posted by premed
Examples of oxymorons...

giant shrimp
icy hot
crash landing
deliberate mistake
good grief
hell's angels
idiot savant
virtual reality
mutually exclusive

Also,
Vegetarian's Kalbi (BBQ Meat)

Examples of oxymorons...

giant shrimp
icy hot
crash landing
deliberate mistake
good grief
hell's angels
idiot savant
virtual reality
mutually exclusive

Can't think of anymore right now. I have a journal club presentation tomorrow and I'm wasting time on SDN...I'm such a slacker. :(

wait, how is "adult male" an oxymoron? :confused: :confused:

yeah i dont want to let this go either guys. what the heck is the OP talking about????

weird.

Members don't see this ad :)
the op wants help on writing personal statements. s/he is referring to the irony of the situation...it is master of searches on google, but found jack through the SDN searches. Just blame the SDN algorithm (sp)?.

a book i found really useful and highly recommend for ideas about what to write about/how to structure your PS is "essays that will get you into medical school"... it has like 50? real sample essays and tells you the schools each author was accepted to (of course it would be more helpful with GPA/MCAT info but that is not provided). anyway it's a great resource; nothing beats reading actual successful essays! :)

Originally posted by Eraserhead
:confused: :confused:

what what???

WHAT?

Don't understand my question? Forget about it....
:)

Originally posted by No Egrets
a book i found really useful and highly recommend for ideas about what to write about/how to structure your PS is "essays that will get you into medical school"... it has like 50? real sample essays and tells you the schools each author was accepted to (of course it would be more helpful with GPA/MCAT info but that is not provided). anyway it's a great resource; nothing beats reading actual successful essays! :)

its ok...my friend told me to look it over...but i just didnt really get a feel for how it would help me. i stopped after about 2 of em...but if your goal is to just see samples...then yeah...it can be a good source. (hmm i hope he doesnt get mad...i cant find it anymore...)

so i just winged it on my own and it ended up being pretty decent.

what what???

WHAT?

Don't understand my question? Forget about it....
:)

lol, look up oxymoron in the dictionary honey.

Originally posted by No Egrets

I found this book useful for reading essays that pertain to my similar situation. Somewhere in the book is an index to all the essays and what they contain: Science oriented, returning student, disadvantaged, etc... it gave some interesting thoughts on how other applicants handled a situation similar to yours.

Also the first half of the book gives hints on brainstorming and general structural do's and don'ts.

Examples of oxymorons...

giant shrimp
icy hot
crash landing
deliberate mistake
good grief
hell's angels
idiot savant
virtual reality
mutually exclusive

military intelligence ;)
blacklight
student teacher
anarchist leader/organization
incredibly dull
constant change
friendly fire
plastic silverware

microsoft works :cool:

Originally posted by MacGFlow
microsoft works :cool:

:clap: Good one...as I type away on my 17" G4 Powerbook.

My post about personal statement has turned into a place for oxymoron listings...:confused:

:laugh: :laugh:

Premeds are such neurotic creatures....:smuggrin: