P.C. Nonsense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McDoctor

Over One Billion Cured
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20070115/practice.html#p1

The recent issue of American Family Physician reviews the AAP revised guidelines for management of bronchioloitis. Look closely at the non-commital stance towards alternative medicine, which arises entirely out of pure political correctness period.

Let's see...

corticosteroids: not routinely recommended due to lack of evidence of benefit.

bronchodilators: not routinely recommended (unless clearly a clinical response) due to lack of evidence of benefit.

antivirals: not routinely recommended due to lack of evidence of benefit.

The list goes on...

... until we get to complementary medicine (herbal remedies, applied kinesiology, and OMT are mentioned) wherein the AAP suddenly lacks the cajones to state "not routinely recommended due to lack of evidence" and instead gives us this wishy washy statement about how there is no evidence of benefit but perhaps the jury is still out and after all CAM is becoming increasingly popular these days and we don't want to rock the boat (I'm paraphrasing) and so on....UGH.:barf:

Does this irritate anyone else as much as it does me?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see anything wrong with "being prepared to discuss" alternative therapies. Even if you're going to give the thumbs-down to something, it helps to know a little about it. ;)

Edit: Besides, it's pediatrics...aren't they all bearded, Birkenstock-wearing hippies, anyway?* :eek:

*I'm waiting to see if OBP is reading this (just kidding, man.) :smuggrin: