P-Chem Hates Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else out there in this situation!

More importantly will my total suckyness with the subject of P-chem matter at all for medical school. Assuming im lucky enough to pull a B.

I can't see how it has any relation to anything I'll learn next year, exept maying being able to mathmaticaly describe how an MRI works.

Members don't see this ad.

Hahah, I'm actually reading some P Chem right now and doing some homework... Taking a break here and there periodically... Are you a Chem major? I don't know that it will be extremely useful besides if you were to do research work...

P Chem is a tough class I'll give you that ;) Good luck with it!

Maybe the subject matters a little bit. But more importantly, it tests you how well you can implement the subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else out there in this situation!

More importantly will my total suckyness with the subject of P-chem matter at all for medical school. Assuming im lucky enough to pull a B.

I can't see how it has any relation to anything I'll learn next year, exept maying being able to mathmaticaly describe how an MRI works.

B is not the end of the world. But if you get a C, then pass/fail it (assuming you can)

what kind of pchem is it? quantum mechanics? thermodynamics? statistical thermodynamics?

o_O really? wait. but he said pchem specifically. maybe i'm just reading it wrong?

Right now is the quatom mechanic part, Solving schrodingers equation for all the different orbitals.

your right a B isn't the end of the world. I'd even take a C, i doubt albany would recind my acceptance for 1 C in P-chem. I'de rather not have to explain it though.

I think the OP meant physical science section on MCAT.

Sorry ill refrase, Technicaly its "Biophysical Chemistry"

Worst parts of physics, Calc 3, chemistry, and lipid biochemistry combined.

And i have a feeling it requires a totally different kinda of studying that ill be exposed to next year.

god. i took that last semester...pass fail though, because i knew i was gonna be freaking out about med school apps...

yea, solving the schroedinger eq is definately not a fun thing to do. SO much math, ugh.

i did, however, have a kickass friend who helped me all the way through! *waves hi to americanpie's gf!*

Edit: oh woops, didn't see the physical biochemistry part. never mind! :D

Sorry ill refrase, Technicaly its "Biophysical Chemistry"

Worst parts of physics, Calc 3, chemistry, and lipid biochemistry combined.

And i have a feeling it requires a totally different kinda of studying that ill be exposed to next year.

lol, at OSU they call it physical biochemistry... it's a ****ty class no doubt...

Nobody's going to judge you if you can't swing an A or a B in PChem.

Right now is the quatom mechanic part, Solving schrodingers equation for all the different orbitals.

your right a B isn't the end of the world. I'd even take a C, i doubt albany would recind my acceptance for 1 C in P-chem. I'de rather not have to explain it though.

I can assure you there won't be a need to solve Schrodinger's equation in med school. Just get out with a C and forget about it like a bad dream.

Haha, it won't matter for your application/ definitely won't result in your acceptance being rescinded. But if you take a minute, p. chem's a pretty interesting class. It gives you perspective on all of the "random" formulas you'd been memorizing before for biochem and chem. And helps hammer in that in the end medicine is just a futile attempt to stem the inexorable tide of entropy. :p

learn thermo and electrochemical potential well. Biochem and membrane physiology will make so much better sense.