• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Anyone else out there in this situation!

More importantly will my total suckyness with the subject of P-chem matter at all for medical school. Assuming im lucky enough to pull a B.

I can't see how it has any relation to anything I'll learn next year, exept maying being able to mathmaticaly describe how an MRI works.

TheGreatHunt

High Performance
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hahah, I'm actually reading some P Chem right now and doing some homework... Taking a break here and there periodically... Are you a Chem major? I don't know that it will be extremely useful besides if you were to do research work...

P Chem is a tough class I'll give you that ;) Good luck with it!

sejin8642

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Maybe the subject matters a little bit. But more importantly, it tests you how well you can implement the subject.

About the Ads

trevagandalf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Anyone else out there in this situation!

More importantly will my total suckyness with the subject of P-chem matter at all for medical school. Assuming im lucky enough to pull a B.

I can't see how it has any relation to anything I'll learn next year, exept maying being able to mathmaticaly describe how an MRI works.

B is not the end of the world. But if you get a C, then pass/fail it (assuming you can)

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
what kind of pchem is it? quantum mechanics? thermodynamics? statistical thermodynamics?

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
o_O really? wait. but he said pchem specifically. maybe i'm just reading it wrong?

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Right now is the quatom mechanic part, Solving schrodingers equation for all the different orbitals.

your right a B isn't the end of the world. I'd even take a C, i doubt albany would recind my acceptance for 1 C in P-chem. I'de rather not have to explain it though.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think the OP meant physical science section on MCAT.

Sorry ill refrase, Technicaly its "Biophysical Chemistry"

Worst parts of physics, Calc 3, chemistry, and lipid biochemistry combined.

And i have a feeling it requires a totally different kinda of studying that ill be exposed to next year.

crimsonkid85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
god. i took that last semester...pass fail though, because i knew i was gonna be freaking out about med school apps...

yea, solving the schroedinger eq is definately not a fun thing to do. SO much math, ugh.

i did, however, have a kickass friend who helped me all the way through! *waves hi to americanpie's gf!*

Edit: oh woops, didn't see the physical biochemistry part. never mind! :D

phospho

SDN Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Columbus, OH
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Sorry ill refrase, Technicaly its "Biophysical Chemistry"

Worst parts of physics, Calc 3, chemistry, and lipid biochemistry combined.

And i have a feeling it requires a totally different kinda of studying that ill be exposed to next year.

lol, at OSU they call it physical biochemistry... it's a ****ty class no doubt...

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Right now is the quatom mechanic part, Solving schrodingers equation for all the different orbitals.

your right a B isn't the end of the world. I'd even take a C, i doubt albany would recind my acceptance for 1 C in P-chem. I'de rather not have to explain it though.

I can assure you there won't be a need to solve Schrodinger's equation in med school. Just get out with a C and forget about it like a bad dream.

johnnydrama

I'm no Superman
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
Haha, it won't matter for your application/ definitely won't result in your acceptance being rescinded. But if you take a minute, p. chem's a pretty interesting class. It gives you perspective on all of the "random" formulas you'd been memorizing before for biochem and chem. And helps hammer in that in the end medicine is just a futile attempt to stem the inexorable tide of entropy. :p

SeventhSon

SIMMER DOWN
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
San Diego
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
learn thermo and electrochemical potential well. Biochem and membrane physiology will make so much better sense.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.