P/F v. grades for residencies--given undergrad past

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vkrn

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
(I also posted this on the pre-allo board, but I thought this would be a more appropriate place.)

I'm a nontraditional student who was a nonscience major in undergrad. My science grades at the start of undergrad (15 years ago) were poor; my post-bac science grades were excellent (nearly 4.0).

Thoughts on the following questions:

Will going to a Pass/Fail med school hurt me for residency? Do I need to go to a med school that's more graded to prove to residencies that I can hack the material?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry about it. Even though a school is pass/fail, they still keep track of class rank through the use of percent scores and the like. A 3.5 GPA really doesn't mean much if half the class has that average. Top 5%, 10%, or 25% of the class, however, are measures of performance that residency programs can use, and that information will be provided to them by your school in the dean's letter. Go to whichever medical school you like best.

AV