P/NP or drop with a W

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rayan Jouny

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am currently enrolled in an introductory physics class, which is a core course for my major. I overestimated myself and saturated my schedule with work and internships, leaving me too busy to study sufficiently for the course. I then changed it from a Letter grade to a P/NP, aiming to re-take it later with a letter grade. The grading option for this course is now fixed.

I received mixed advice as to whether P/NP or dropping with a W is the better option for medical school admissions. Can someone please clarify which is better for medical school admissions?
 
There is no real difference between P and W if you re-take the class later. Obviously NP looks bad but at least it doesn't affect your GPA.

From a practical standpoint I would think W would make more sense, as it seems like a waste of time to continue trying to pass a class that you know you're going to need to retake later.