P300

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most of the threads on this AuD forum are about professional or educational issues. To balance things out, I wanted to start a thread about a clinical issue.

It seems that some researchers and clinicians have advocated the auditory P300 for use in assessing APD. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? For any newbees to the field, keep in mind that the P300 is vastly different than an ABR in many ways. Personally, I believe that the P300 should NOT be used clinically (with the possible exception of threshold assessment in malingerers) due to the myriad of non-pathological factors that can influence it!

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

The P300 wave has been associated with attention and auditory discrimination via studies involving tone differentials (the oddball paradigm).

It's been studied somewhat in persons with aphasia. The N400 wave has been attributed to semantic judgment. The main difference between ABR and P300 is the subject is attending to the tasks that serve to elicit the P300. You can be asleep for an ABR.

A search on EBSCO, Ovid, or Medline will give you some great references. If you don't have access to them, let me know, I can give you some references to good articles.