PA applicant question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marsdgrove33133

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering :idea: if there is any type statistical information about PA applicants and their results on applying to PA schools. I know that if you go on AAMC.org and click on MSAR you can find all of the information on how many people applied to med-school, which school people applied to and on how many applicants were from out of state, etc. Is there such information for a PA applicant? I went on the AAPA and couldn’t find any. If that doesn’t exist, can you please let me know? Thanks?

Mars :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering :idea: if there is any type statistical information about PA applicants and their results on applying to PA schools. I know that if you go on AAMC.org and click on MSAR you can find all of the information on how many people applied to med-school, which school people applied to and on how many applicants were from out of state, etc. Is there such information for a PA applicant? I went on the AAPA and couldn’t find any. If that doesn’t exist, can you please let me know? Thanks?

Mars :thumbup:

Unfortunately the PA world is several years behind the medical schools. They have only recently moved to a centralized application system.
The organization for PA programs is known as PAEA. You can look at the website at:
http://www.paeaonline.org

For your specific information you want:
How to Order

21st Annual Report on Physician Assistant Educational Programs in the United States, 2004-2005 is available for $50.00. Each PAEA member program that contributes information to the survey receives two free copies.

To order, contact Geraldene Darden
703-548-5538, ext. 306
[email protected]

You may be able to look at a copy at your local PA program.
David Carpenter, PA-C

a more general (free) answer.there are around 140 programs.
most pa programs have 30-40 spots for which they get up to 1000 applications for 100-200 interviews to fill the spots.
every programs focuses on different things among the following:
prior experience( quality and quantity), gpa, gre, community service, desire to work in rural/underserved areas, life experience, maturity

Have you seen this?

http://www.aapa.org/research/index.html#student

The New Student Census report is pretty handy; it's broken down regionally, which isn't the same as the MSAR going med school by med school, but it will tell you a lot of good stuff. For example, the incoming PA-S1's in 2005/06 were 73% women. New students (i.e., the applicants that got in) generally had between 6 and 18 months of work experience. Most applied to between 1 and 5 schools. A fair number applied to only one. What their undergrad degrees were in, and what GPAs they had. Stuff like that.

I found it to be helpful, in helping my advisor assess my chances. :)