PA As Backup Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurenAlexandra711

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

From what I've heard, the PA route is sort of a backup plan for many Americans, if they dont get into med school. I was wondering if that is true for my fellow Canadians? Seeing as our med schools are extremely difficult to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

No. Mostly because there's less than 40 PA spots each year in 3 schools. You'd need higher grades to get into a Canadian PA school than most US MD schools to be honest

No. Mostly because there's less than 40 PA spots each year in 3 schools. You'd need higher grades to get into a Canadian PA school than most US MD schools to be honest
Oh wow, that's an interesting way of looking at it! And very discouraging haha :p Thanks for your reply :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

From what I've heard, the PA route is sort of a backup plan for many Americans, if they dont get into med school. I was wondering if that is true for my fellow Canadians? Seeing as our med schools are extremely difficult to get into.
Also you're whole statement isn't even true. Not a back up plan for vast majority. Having said that, md was my back up plan. Go figure that

Also you're whole statement isn't even true. Not a back up plan for vast majority. Having said that, md was my back up plan. Go figure that

Many doesn't imply most. I've seen it a lot on here people suggesting PA instead for people who don't have the strongest applications for med school.

Many doesn't imply most. I've seen it a lot on here people suggesting PA instead for people who don't have the strongest applications for med school.

Again, in the US. There are something like 40 PA spots each year in Canada.

One school requires 960+ hours of health care experience, the others require 3.9+ GPAs at least, and it's still highly competitive because there are so few spots. People with 4.0's get rejected from PA school here in Canada