PA clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liz84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post, and I am considering applying to PA schools. Since many PA programs require hands-on clinical experience, I was wondering: I have 3 years experience as a pharmacy tech, would this apply at all as clinical experience? It was paid work in two different hospitals, but I don't know if this would count as clinical experience when applying to PA programs. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Liz84 said:
This is my first post, and I am considering applying to PA schools. Since many PA programs require hands-on clinical experience, I was wondering: I have 3 years experience as a pharmacy tech, would this apply at all as clinical experience? It was paid work in two different hospitals, but I don't know if this would count as clinical experience when applying to PA programs. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!!

some programs would take that as clinical experience other programs would not. check with programs you are interested in to be sure. see www.aapa.org for links to all programs

I will be starting my first year of PA school this june and I can tell you from experience, that you should have no problem getting into many programs as far as your experience goes. While many programs do require 2000 or so hours of "direct patient-care", others simply want to see that you have an invested interest in medicine. I applied to PA school with only a summer of research in a Cincinnati hospital and I worked as a medical assistant for one summer and I got in to 4 different programs. So, while some programs many be out of reach without direct patient care, you should have no problem getting accepted to others which do not require so many hours. I suggest researching many schools before you decide to apply. And don't put all your eggs in one basket, apply to more schools than just your top choices. I hope this helps. :)