PA interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmcake

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Yay! I have an interview next week for a PA program- and i have a question about what to wear. I know I'll be wearing a suit (most likely brown), etc. but the real question is- I have a nose-ring. It's a really small stud (not a hoop), not terribly noticeable, but noticeable enough. I think it's pretty and it's certainly not large or offensive or anything. any info on whether i should take it out for the interview? The major problem is that i tend to heal really fast, and i know it will close up before i can get it back in (this happened once before), so it's not like i can just pull it out and swoop it back in when i'm done. any advice?

Members don't see this ad.
 
D

deleted6669

mmmcake said:
Yay! I have an interview next week for a PA program- and i have a question about what to wear. I know I'll be wearing a suit (most likely brown), etc. but the real question is- I have a nose-ring. It's a really small stud (not a hoop), not terribly noticeable, but noticeable enough. I think it's pretty and it's certainly not large or offensive or anything. any info on whether i should take it out for the interview? The major problem is that i tend to heal really fast, and i know it will close up before i can get it back in (this happened once before), so it's not like i can just pull it out and swoop it back in when i'm done. any advice?
take it out and leave it out.
you wouldn't be allowed to have it on rotations anyway. if you want to put it back in at your 1st job that's your business but most employers in health care see them as unprofessional so I wouldn't recommend that either.
seriously, they made a guy in my class cut his butt length hair before rotations. they certainly wouldn't allow any piercings other than small tasteful earrings.you have to remember that a lot of your pts will be >65 and they just don't understand the whole gen-x lifestyle.
 

mmmcake

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
emedpa said:
take it out and leave it out.
you wouldn't be allowed to have it on rotations anyway. if you want to put it back in at your 1st job that's your business but most employers in health care see them as unprofessional so I wouldn't recommend that either.
seriously, they made a guy in my class cut his butt length hair before rotations. they certainly wouldn't allow any piercings other than small tasteful earrings.you have to remember that a lot of your pts will be >65 and they just don't understand the whole gen-x lifestyle.


Yeah...that's what I was afraid of...you think it's necessary for the interview? I understand that I may have to take it out later for rotations, but for the interview?

I know, i know...I just really don't want to part with it.

Thanks for the input!
 
Members don't see this ad :)

niko327

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2003
Messages
292
Reaction score
92
mmmcake said:
Yeah...that's what I was afraid of...you think it's necessary for the interview? I understand that I may have to take it out later for rotations, but for the interview?

I know, i know...I just really don't want to part with it.

Thanks for the input!

Get rid of it for sure, the overwhelming probability is they won't think it's professional. First impressions aren't everything, they're the ONLY thing. You worked really hard to get to the interview stage, you can always put it back in later if you really want.
 

Monika

PA-C
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2002
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
great advice given so far....they speak the truth...

I don't think it's appropriate in the clinical setting & especially not at interview time. If you are that attached maybe you could slip one of those clear plastic studs in for your didactic year. You are dealing with so many different personality types in the medical wards who are in charge of evaluating you. I would not take the chance of creating an undesirable impression at this stage in the game.

Like EMED said, once you graduate & get a job you can wear it again...if they allow you to.

:) M
 
Top