PA or OD?

Started by Pirate93
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pirate93

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
From high school I got accepted into a 3+3 PA program (BS/MS). I currently have 2.8 pre-req GPA and needed a 3.0 to continue so I am no longer in a program. My overall GPA is a 3.1. Being in a program I did not volunteer as much throughout college because I only needed 100 hours for the program. I really want to continue to have a career in healthcare but I am doubting my chances. I also shadowed an optometrist and enjoyed it as much as a PA. Both OD and PA schools are competitive. What are my chances of getting into either of these schools and what can I do to improve my chances?
 
Hello,
From high school I got accepted into a 3+3 PA program (BS/MS). I currently have 2.8 pre-req GPA and needed a 3.0 to continue so I am no longer in a program. My overall GPA is a 3.1. Being in a program I did not volunteer as much throughout college because I only needed 100 hours for the program. I really want to continue to have a career in healthcare but I am doubting my chances. I also shadowed an optometrist and enjoyed it as much as a PA. Both OD and PA schools are competitive. What are my chances of getting into either of these schools and what can I do to improve my chances?

Honestly I would try to see if you can be reinstated into the PA program? Also I would have just went to one of the high school to physician programs. More prestige, more money, etc...

Lastly, I know nothing of OD, but isn't it a bit of a glut in that sector? Also make sure you correct your science deficiencies either way.
 
Thank you for helping. I spoke to my adviser about getting reinstated but he told me it was not possible due to accreditation standards. I am leaning more towards PA since I do enjoy working in that kind of setting as opposed to opt. I also volunteered out of the country for a week and provided medical care but I just don't know what I can do in state that allows me to get better patient contact. Any suggestions?