Nov 23, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hello,
From high school I got accepted into a 3+3 PA program (BS/MS). I currently have 2.8 pre-req GPA and needed a 3.0 to continue so I am no longer in a program. My overall GPA is a 3.1. Being in a program I did not volunteer as much throughout college because I only needed 100 hours for the program. I really want to continue to have a career in healthcare but I am doubting my chances. I also shadowed an optometrist and enjoyed it as much as a PA. Both OD and PA schools are competitive. What are my chances of getting into either of these schools and what can I do to improve my chances?

Makati2008

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Hello,
From high school I got accepted into a 3+3 PA program (BS/MS). I currently have 2.8 pre-req GPA and needed a 3.0 to continue so I am no longer in a program. My overall GPA is a 3.1. Being in a program I did not volunteer as much throughout college because I only needed 100 hours for the program. I really want to continue to have a career in healthcare but I am doubting my chances. I also shadowed an optometrist and enjoyed it as much as a PA. Both OD and PA schools are competitive. What are my chances of getting into either of these schools and what can I do to improve my chances?
Honestly I would try to see if you can be reinstated into the PA program? Also I would have just went to one of the high school to physician programs. More prestige, more money, etc...

Lastly, I know nothing of OD, but isn't it a bit of a glut in that sector? Also make sure you correct your science deficiencies either way.

OP
P
Nov 23, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Thank you for helping. I spoke to my adviser about getting reinstated but he told me it was not possible due to accreditation standards. I am leaning more towards PA since I do enjoy working in that kind of setting as opposed to opt. I also volunteered out of the country for a week and provided medical care but I just don't know what I can do in state that allows me to get better patient contact. Any suggestions?