PA Pre-Reqs

Started by da3mite
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

da3mite

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I graduated from the University of Michigan a year ago with a degree in psychology and now I'm considering PA programs. However, I did not consider the medical option while I was at Michigan so I'm wondering if someone has a general list of pre-reqs for most PA programs. I know the AAPA has a comprehensive list of pre-reqs for each school, but I'm wondering if anyone has a specific list of classes that I need to take over the next 1-2 years so that I could qualify to most places.

Thank you,
Michael
 
obviously check with individual programs. in general this course list is needed for most programs:
gen bio series 1 year
gen chem series 1 yr
microbiology
A+P 1 year sequence
1 psych course
1 college level math course
1 college level english course
Many newer programs also require ochem and/or biochem.
some programs want a genetics course.
Programs also weigh health care experience, both intensity and duration. most applicants today have at least 1000 hrs of hce. many have more. EMT, medical assistant, etc are good routes.
programs also look at community service, etc
check out the pa forum at www.physicianassistantforum.com for more info on the profession
good luck.