PA Prereqs, GRE needed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a pre-med student, third year biology major, and am still exploring my options. I have a 3.7 GPA, 3.5 sGPA, many EC's including medical club advisory board, science honor society, american cancer society, health and wellness association, etc. I have 100+ hours clinical experience with doctors as well as about 15 hours of shadowing experience. I have about all of the prereq courses except psychology. I have not taken A+P and was wondering if I should considering not all PA schools require it. I was also wondering if the schools that do require it would substitute A+P I and II with strongly recommended courses that I have taken (orgo I and II w/ lab, microbiology w/ lab, genetics w/ lab, biochemistry w/ lab). In addition, are GRE's required or strongly recommended? PA program admission requirements did not mention the GRE's, but have any of you who are in PA programs or have applied taken and sent the scores?

Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

most ms level pa programs want the gre.
your gpa is fine for pa school. pa programs want exactly what they have listed as prereqs and typically will not accept substitutions. and they can afford to be picky with > 1000 applications to many programs with 30 spots.
an important part of your potential application to pa school that is missing is health care experience. the avg accepted student has over 2000 hrs of paid professional experience at the level of emt, medical asst., etc
while some programs may list min requirements in hrs., the folks who typically get in far exceed these hrs.
the whole concept of pa education is to build on a prior framework of another medical career, for example I was an er tech and paramedic for 10 yrs before becoming a pa.
see www.aapa.org for links to all pa programs- they are in the student section.

Hi all,

I'm a pre-med student, third year biology major, and am still exploring my options. I have a 3.7 GPA, 3.5 sGPA, many EC's including medical club advisory board, science honor society, american cancer society, health and wellness association, etc. I have 100+ hours clinical experience with doctors as well as about 15 hours of shadowing experience. I have about all of the prereq courses except psychology. I have not taken A+P and was wondering if I should considering not all PA schools require it. I was also wondering if the schools that do require it would substitute A+P I and II with strongly recommended courses that I have taken (orgo I and II w/ lab, microbiology w/ lab, genetics w/ lab, biochemistry w/ lab). In addition, are GRE's required or strongly recommended? PA program admission requirements did not mention the GRE's, but have any of you who are in PA programs or have applied taken and sent the scores?

Thanks in advance! :)

To the OP and EMED with A+P I and II with labs being such an important foundational course, which pa schools do not require this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of any...but I assume that any out there work it into the first yr curriculum.
my program required it as a prereq AND we did a 2 semester clinical a+p course as part of the program.

I don't know of any...but I assume that any out there work it into the first yr curriculum.
my program required it as a prereq AND we did a 2 semester clinical a+p course as part of the program.

lol I took it three times... once in the military, for pre-reqs, and then two quarters of clinical A & P once I was in PA school. :laugh: