PA School--Any Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

debalinacs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a non-traditional student. I went to school and worked as an chemical engineer but always felt a calling to medicine. I have children and felt that the PA track was more suited for me. So, I recently got accepted to PA school and wanted to know your thoughts of the programs at SLU vs. Butler? Also, are there any scholarships out there for PAs? I've heard of the Health Service Corps...if anyone has done this...do they place you anywhere in the US or do you get to pick?

Thanks for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am a non-traditional student. I went to school and worked as an chemical engineer but always felt a calling to medicine. I have children and felt that the PA track was more suited for me. So, I recently got accepted to PA school and wanted to know your thoughts of the programs at SLU vs. Butler? Also, are there any scholarships out there for PAs? I've heard of the Health Service Corps...if anyone has done this...do they place you anywhere in the US or do you get to pick?

Thanks for your responses!

PA is a great option as long you can accept the fact that there are limitations as a PA.

there are individual scholarships offered by states(you agree to practice there for x yrs after you graduate in a health provider shortage area) as well as the nhsc and federal bureau of prisons. there are also military "costep" programs(you owe 2 yrs active duty when done).
the nhsc makes you pick a region(pacific, northeast, southwest, etc) which includes a few states. they rank the sites in each region by greatest need. you have something like 6 months prior to graduation to interview for and be accepted at a site in your region. if you fail to do so they place you at the site of their choosing in that region. if you refuse you owe back 3x what they have given you....
any pa related question is better addressed at www.physicianassistantforum.com where it will be seen by 12,000 + pa's vs the 5 who post here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great thanks, I will post there. BTW any thoughs about the program at Butler vs. St. Louis University?