PA School App - Need advice please!

Started by al12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

al12

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone -
Sorry for writing so much but please bear with me!

So I have started the application process of applying to PA school. However, I'm beginning to wonder if I should just save the money and wait until next year until I am a better candidate...

I started off at a community college and received my associate's in science (took 2 and a half years) with a 4.0 GPA (where I also took bio, physics & anatomy/physiology). I then transferred to a local, small university for only 1 semester and kept my 4.0 (including microbio & a genetics "topics" class). I then transferred to a large university and things went downhill for me there. My 4.0 went out the window fast. I have attended this school & taken important prereqs like gen chem, organic chem, genetics, microbio (again b/c I had issues transferring my previous micro class), various upper-level Biology electives, stats, calc etc.

I was under a poor mental state upon transferring to a new school far from my home and was diagnosed and treated for anxiety that year. Treatment helped some but my grades were sub-par compared to what I know I am capable of. Finally towards the end of my second year, I was diagnosed with ADHD and was treated due to my anxiety worsening my symptoms. I noticed a HUGE difference. I was finally getting A's on exams again but by this point it was too late. Most of the classes I had taken at this school consisted of B's and quite a few C's. I believe my science GPA is close to (but not below) a 3.0 and my cum GPA slightly above that.

I have shadowed a physician & PA (have rec letters from both) and am currently in EMT school and have a wonderful paid-internship that allows me to have direct patient contact. I know that it is crucial I submit my applications ASAP but I don't know if I should wait another year to build up my HCE since I JUST started all of these things about a month ago to makeup for my drastic GPA decline. I'd like to avoid taking post-bac classes if possible as I only have 1 more semester left at this school and am already in quite enough debt from that.

This has been asked a million+ times on this forum but I'd really like opinions on my chances of applying this cycle & if they are fairly low (with my lower GPA/GPA decline/lack of HCE background), what I should do to make up for it by this time next year? I have a true passion to become a PA and am confident that I can prove that in an interview but it's getting that interview that I'm concerned with.
 
It's hard to say whether you'll get an interview or not. I think you have a fair chance at getting an interview because one of my friends applied with similar stats and he received an interview from MCPHS.
 
Thank you for your response. It's also nice knowing specific programs that have accepted other students with stats similar to mine so I'll look into that one
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a similar experience of starting the PA school applications, and then had serious second thoughts about whether or not to wait a year. In the end, I decided to wait an extra year before I applied because my application would be that much stronger.

Based on what you wrote above, I would suggest waiting a year if you have the time. You can finish out your remaining classes strong, and have a lot more HCE hours by the time you apply. Since your GPA is low, I would recommend you retake some classes...at the very least the ones you got a C in. I know you don't want to spend the money to do post-bac, but you are saving the money it would of cost to apply this year. Applying to PA school is a lot of time and money, so I think you should not apply until you feel ready and have an application you feel really good about. I think the extra time will give you an opportunity to help your GPA a bit and counter it out with more hands on solid clinical experience. Not only that, but PA school is very intense. You want to apply when you feel fully ready to take it on.

Hope that helps!
 
Thank you so much for your reply! It's nice to hear from someone who was once in a similar experience. I'm considering even just applying to a handful of schools right now that, based on my research, I might have a chance in just to see what happens. I'm not expecting the best results this round so worst case, I have an idea of what to expect for next time. I am definitely going to consider retaking some classes. I calculated my cum GPA as 3.5 but my science as a little under a 3.2 (doing well in one of my classes this upcoming fall will raise it to a 3.2) so I am definitely considering retaking some of those science courses.