PA school chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omair2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've graduated with overall 2.9 GPA Biological Sciences. All of the prereq classes required for PA school I had a B or better. The only thing that brought me down was analytical chemistry which I didn't like too much. At that time was going for a B.S. but then I decided after failing analytical chem that I just do a B.A. degree. I've gotten A's in higher level sciences like Endocrinology and B+ in Graduate level Biochemistry. I have A's and B's in Orgo class and lab and B in General chemistry class and lab. Physics 1 i got a B and physics 2 a C+.

I have good volunteer work experience at a M.D. office, and volunteer at a free clinic, and several good letters of recc. I also work part time.

I wanted to know if I manage to do great on the GRE's will that overshadow my GPA?

Or should I do a masters program at my university and then apply? (This would delay me about 2 years).

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Omair,
Your GPA will screen you from the majority of schools. Also I don't foresee your GRE overshadowing your low GPA(average is approximately 3.5).
I would work on retaking the courses that you did poorly, and getting good quality HCE as well.

Your course is going to be hard but not totally imposible.
Makati

Hey Omair,

I think doing a master's program would be a good choice, as that can be a chance at boosting your gpa. I agree with the above poster about getting good quality HCE. You can do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I've graduated with overall 2.9 GPA Biological Sciences. All of the prereq classes required for PA school I had a B or better. The only thing that brought me down was analytical chemistry which I didn't like too much. At that time was going for a B.S. but then I decided after failing analytical chem that I just do a B.A. degree. I've gotten A's in higher level sciences like Endocrinology and B+ in Graduate level Biochemistry. I have A's and B's in Orgo class and lab and B in General chemistry class and lab. Physics 1 i got a B and physics 2 a C+.

I have good volunteer work experience at a M.D. office, and volunteer at a free clinic, and several good letters of recc. I also work part time.

I wanted to know if I manage to do great on the GRE's will that overshadow my GPA?

Or should I do a masters program at my university and then apply? (This would delay me about 2 years).

I wouldn't get a masters degree when what you need to do is maybe retake some classes and get some HCE. A masters could be expensive.