PA school harder than medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrOwnage

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Working in the hospital so far I've heard a lot of educational bias from different medical personnel, but a couple of people (not all PAs) have specifically told me that PA school is harder than medical school...

Anyone wanna elaborate on why this could possibly be so?

Members don't see this ad.

Working in the hospital so far I've heard a lot of educational bias from different medical personnel, but a couple of people (not all PAs) have specifically told me that PA school is harder than medical school...

To quote an older post:

"PA school and medical school are both sprints, at a 6 minute per mile pace, run through the same neighborhood, from the same starting point to the same finish line. It's just that the PA sprint is 2 miles, and the MD/DO sprint is 4 miles. By necessity, the PA students have to keep to the main roads to reach the finish line in only 2 miles. Med students are expected to take every side street and cul-de-sac available in their journey.

At the end, both may know how to navigate the neighborhood, know which streets cross where, and have a good grasp on the demographics of the area. But only the med students will be able to tell you how many cars, what type, and what color sit in every driveway of every house on every street in the entire area. In casual conversation, or even observing them work, you might get the impression that both learned pretty much the same thing from their races. But probe deeper, and you'll find that only one knows that the guy in 2034 on Rainbow Circle prefers charcoal to gas, and that his neighbor's wife is hot."

Reactions: 60 users
Who cares? If you want the most difficult experience you should probably check out a physics or chemistry PhD.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To quote an older post:

"PA school and medical school are both sprints, at a 6 minute per mile pace, run through the same neighborhood, from the same starting point to the same finish line. It's just that the PA sprint is 2 miles, and the MD/DO sprint is 4 miles. By necessity, the PA students have to keep to the main roads to reach the finish line in only 2 miles. Med students are expected to take every side street and cul-de-sac available in their journey.

At the end, both may know how to navigate the neighborhood, know which streets cross where, and have a good grasp on the demographics of the area. But only the med students will be able to tell you how many cars, what type, and what color sit in every driveway of every house on every street in the entire area. In casual conversation, or even observing them work, you might get the impression that both learned pretty much the same thing from their races. But probe deeper, and you'll find that only one knows that the guy in 2034 on Rainbow Circle prefers charcoal to gas, and that his neighbor's wife is hot."

I've never heard this example before, but I completely agree and love it. Before med school, I went to PA school & think this is accurate. I went to med school to get a deeper understanding.
PA school is tough b/c there's such a short time to learn a bunch of information. But med school is harder because the pace of med school is almost as fast yet with a LOT more information.

Edit: The "LOT more information" is mainly due to the basic sciences during first year of med school.

Reactions: 2 users
To quote an older post:

Good analogy!

I've never heard this example before, but I completely agree and love it. Before med school, I went to PA school & think this is accurate. I went to med school to get a deeper understanding.
PA school is tough b/c there's such a short time to learn a bunch of information. But med school is harder because the pace of med school is almost as fast yet with a LOT more information.

Edit: The "LOT more information" is mainly due to the basic sciences during first year of med school.

a LOT more information in first two years, right? I don't think any school (PA/RN) has to learn as much information for one major exam they take during second year.

To quote an older post:

Best analogy ever :thumbup:

Yo I heard getting a nursing assistant degree is harder than med school is it true guyz?

I heard that, too. The CNA certification was the most brutal exam I'd ever taken. I failed twice. Should I have put that on my application to med school? :scared:

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Dude who cares youll also hear nurses say nursing school is harder.

But we all know that art history school is the worst of all. I mean, they have homework and everything!

a LOT more information in first two years, right? I don't think any school (PA/RN) has to learn as much information for one major exam they take during second year.

True!
How could I forget Step 1?!? I just took it, but I don't think my memory's fully recovered after I voluntarily gave myself ECT to forget about that traumatic event :laugh:

But we all know that art history school is the worst of all. I mean, they have homework and everything!

ehhh, for me art school actually would be the hardest. eeeek.

Members don't see this ad :)
they should make PA/NPs take the Step 1 for the lulz

I'm sure PA school is very hard for PA students. Maybe as hard as med school is for med students. But they aren't the same type of students so any true comparison is useless.

Reactions: 5 users
Med school seems pretty easy, so I'm not surprised. I'm on rotations now and it only seems to get easier. I had expected them to force me to eat 5 pounds of dirt for a little extra time to study.

they should make PA/NPs take the Step 1 for the lulz

I'm on my surgery rotation now. One of the PAs here is studying for his recertification exam and he asked me for help. They are stuff like "which medication caused this patient to have a high potassium level? furosemide or spironolactone? (and 3 other answer choices)" or "what is koilonynchia is a sign of? iron deficiency anemia or psoriasis? (and 3 other answer choices)." But his surgical skills and his ability to actually be helpful to the surgeons during operations or carry out procedures puts me to shame. No hate : ] I think the PAs are awesome and that they teach me a lot that the surgeons don't want to condescend to teach.

Last edited:
A group of NPs did take a watered down step 3 and half failed it.

DNP supporters state that it was only because it was one of the first classes to take the test.

No watered down business. I want DNPs and PGY-1s sitting for the same Step 3 exam. It'll never happen, but a man can dream.

Love the analogy, Slickyfats. Nice one to reference.

To quote an older post:

:thumbup: Amazing analogy. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely not. Have done both. I estimate I knew about 45% of what I learned (re-learned) in med school from my PA education and practice--and while it was certainly an advantage the circuitous race analogy holds VERY true!
These kinds of idiotic statements are only spouted by the ignorant. Recognize them for what they are.

I answered a simple Q on my rotation and the PA students have been telling me how brilliant I am since. I'm pretty sure anyone who took step 1 knows the answer to the pimp question. Like this would be a 85% uworld question. I'm not gonna say it bc I don't want to ID myself lol. But yea, they just don't compare. At least these PA students said it themselves though.

Dude who cares youll also hear nurses say nursing school is harder.

Hahaha... have you ever been to Allnurses.com? On the other hand, and I know this will make me sound like a pretentious douche, we're the cream of the cream relative to the rest of society. We all did generally fairly well in high school, and kicked butt in college. Our definition of "hard" is not what the general public's definition is of hard. The hardest course that nurse might have taken is her nursing courses, and for her it was legitimately hard. Just like there are plenty of EMTs who talk about how "hard" their EMT course is (you know, the 120 hour certificate that's basically advanced first aid). Every time I hear someone complain that courses like those are "hard" I just remind myself to be grateful that my definition of "hard" is not nearly the same as their definition of "hard."

Hahaha... have you ever been to Allnurses.com? On the other hand, and I know this will make me sound like a pretentious douche, we're the cream of the cream relative to the rest of society. We all did generally fairly well in high school, and kicked butt in college. Our definition of "hard" is not what the general public's definition is of hard.

With the Discovery channel airing Amish Mafia, the Learning channel showing Honey Booboo, and the Kardashians on every news program 5 days a week, it's no wonder the "general public" thinks we have to be geniuses to understand the krebs cycle, etc.

Reactions: 5 users

it's a matter of perspective. PA's are part of the medical system.
being threatened by them is for premeds and med students. further along, you will understand their role and lack of "threat" to doctors.

Last edited:
Hahaha... have you ever been to Allnurses.com? On the other hand, and I know this will make me sound like a pretentious douche, we're the cream of the cream relative to the rest of society. We all did generally fairly well in high school, and kicked butt in college. Our definition of "hard" is not what the general public's definition is of hard. The hardest course that nurse might have taken is her nursing courses, and for her it was legitimately hard. Just like there are plenty of EMTs who talk about how "hard" their EMT course is (you know, the 120 hour certificate that's basically advanced first aid). Every time I hear someone complain that courses like those are "hard" I just remind myself to be grateful that my definition of "hard" is not nearly the same as their definition of "hard."

With the Discovery channel airing Amish Mafia, the Learning channel showing Honey Booboo, and the Kardashians on every news program 5 days a week, it's no wonder the "general public" thinks we have to be geniuses to understand the krebs cycle, etc.

h0042CD12

Definitely not. Have done both. I estimate I knew about 45% of what I learned (re-learned) in med school from my PA education and practice--and while it was certainly an advantage the circuitous race analogy holds VERY true!
These kinds of idiotic statements are only spouted by the ignorant. Recognize them for what they are.

So true:

1)The first time I saw the q I said to myself this must be "comic relief".. Which is ok, we need it!

2)I love quotes and I agree "ignorance is bliss"

Last edited:
But his surgical skills and his ability to actually be helpful to the surgeons during operations or carry out procedures puts me to shame. No hate : ] I think the PAs are awesome and that they teach me a lot that the surgeons don't want to condescend to teach.

My surgery attendings have no problem condescending to me :laugh:

Definitely not. Have done both. I estimate I knew about 45% of what I learned (re-learned) in med school from my PA education

Well doesn't it make sense that you knew about 50% as much since PA school is 50% as long as med school?

Is the pace of pa school the same since you learned 50% but also only had 1 year of pre-clinicals (instead of 2 in med school)?

PA school and MD school are like apples and oranges. PA school is made to produce physician assistants and MD school is made to produce MD's. It would be hard to compare them. Though, I'm biased and think MD school is harder since there is so much information to learn.

And how would they know????

I love my PA students, but I give them decidedly less material than my med students.

Reactions: 4 users
To quote an older post:

Love this analogy. I'm a pharmacist, and there are a few doctors in my hospital that just amaze me every time we go on rounds. It's almost enough to make you want to go back to school and change careers. Almost.

Reactions: 3 users
Working in a hospital, I've heard from more than a few people that the girl who delivers the food trays with a culinary assistant degree from DeVry is more educated than Chief of Neurosurgery. Any truth to this?

Reactions: 6 users
Working in a hospital, I've heard from more than a few people that the girl who delivers the food trays with a culinary assistant degree from DeVry is more educated than Chief of Neurosurgery. Any truth to this?
haha! whoah there buddy, careful. you might microaggress on some people.

Reactions: 3 users
Ya gotta love the 2 year necrobump, especially these vs. threads...

And how would they know????

I love my PA students, but I give them decidedly less material than my med students.

Hey Goro! I didn't know you taught both med students and PA students. So how much less material would you say you give the PA students?

Also the main thing I'm trying to undertand is the difference in pace between med vs PA. Would you say that the pace of PA school is less than med?

Would decent grades in Pa school = passing in med school?

I give the PAs about 2.3rd to 3/4th of the material the med students get.

So how much less material would you say you give the PA students?

I don't know, because my window is a VERY narrow slice.

Would you say that the pace of PA school is less than med?

Absolutely

Hey Goro! I didn't know you taught both med students and PA students. So how much less material would you say you give the PA students?

Also the main thing I'm trying to undertand is the difference in pace between med vs PA. Would you say that the pace of PA school is less than med?

I've done both.
a) Yes, there's less material in PA school.
b) Yes, the pace is about the same. There's less time in PA school, but there's so much more information & pressure in med school. Don't get me started on USMLE Step 1 prep.
c) Yes, most of my PA school peers - who did well in PA school - would pass in med school. (But "just passing" vs "doing well" in med school is much more difficult.)

I've done both.
a) Yes, there's less material in PA school.
b) Yes, the pace is about the same. There's less time in PA school, but there's so much more information & pressure in med school. Don't get me started on USMLE Step 1 prep.
c) Yes, most of my PA school peers - who did well in PA school - would pass in med school. (But "just passing" vs "doing well" in med school is much more difficult.)

Sent PM!

Are they good looking? Hot girls go to pa schools so that they can meet doctors without making themselves look like gold diggers.

If they think that way that means they want to compete and wont be submissive gfs and wives in the future. Just meet hot pa girls who dont think this way and are willing to kneel down and please you.

Reactions: 1 users
I've noted that girls in pa schools are much hotter but much dumber than medical school girls

Pa girls are both smarter and better looking than np girls and they are more submissive too (means better and more willing to do things for you in bed)

Med school girls.... Hmmmm you would only get bedroom stuff during vdays or bdays if you are lucky..

LOL, so you're saying the schooling of the assistant to the boss is harder than the boss? My roommate in medschool was a PA, that's just rubbish.

I go to a medical school that has one of the best PA schools in the US. They take the entire preclinical curriculum with us. Not sure about other schools, but here they are incredibly smart and on top of everything. I can tell you for a fact that they take the same anatomy lab practical we do, and the PA student in my dissection group soundly kicks the rest of our asses every time.