PA shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr 14220

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm interested in PA and as such would like to shadow one. I really want to shadow a PA in the NICU, but I'm not sure how to contact one or go about setting this up. I feel kind of funny just calling the NICU and saying "hi, can i shadow a PA in the NICU?" I dont know any PAs personally either.

So, what is the proper way to set up PA shadowing?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm interested in PA and as such would like to shadow one. I really want to shadow a PA in the NICU, but I'm not sure how to contact one or go about setting this up. I feel kind of funny just calling the NICU and saying "hi, can i shadow a PA in the NICU?" I dont know any PAs personally either.

So, what is the proper way to set up PA shadowing?
Usually you have to know the PA. There are a number of PAs that work in the NICU but it is very area dependent. In Denver for example two of the NICUs have PAs the rest have NNPs. If you know someone that works in a NICU that uses PAs you could have them ask or have them get a name. Also PA school will not train you for just NICU but all aspects of medicine so you would need to have a general idea of what a PA can do. If you want to shadow a PA is there one at your FP that you can shadow or somewhere that your family knows? Once you get to know a few PAs and demonstrate some interest you will be able to get into other places. I never take shadowers that are cold calls. However, if another PA calls (even someone I don't know) and asks I have no problem.

Also consider talking to your local PA program to see if they will set up shadowing opportunities for interested pre-PA students.

David Carpenter, PA-C

I joined the AAPA as a pre-PA student, then had access to their online directory of PAs. I then wrote letters to four PAs in my area asking to get together to talk about the profession, and two of them called me back and offered to have me shadow them. I didn't have to ask! After I spent some time with them and shadowed them, they also offered to write references for my PA school application.

There are PAs out there who would love to have you shadow them. You just need to find them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I joined the AAPA as a pre-PA student, then had access to their online directory of PAs. I then wrote letters to four PAs in my area asking to get together to talk about the profession, and two of them called me back and offered to have me shadow them. I didn't have to ask! After I spent some time with them and shadowed them, they also offered to write references for my PA school application.

There are PAs out there who would love to have you shadow them. You just need to find them.

How do you join as a pre-PA student? The only student option I saw was for a PA student. I also wish it wasn't $75. That is a months worth of groceries...

In terms of shadowing, I just contact the residency coordinator of the respective department I am interested in and that person always gets me hooked up.

Hi, please, could you email me what the letter looks like so that i can have an idea of what to do. the email is [email protected]. thanks