PA to MD/DO seeking Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

svalentePA-C

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been Practicing PA for just about 5 years. I am tired of still not knowing basics in my field, i am tired of having to turn for help (not to confirm my diagnosis, but to lead me in a way to find it). I am serious about applying this year.

I am lacking 1 year of physisics. I plan to enroll into Phy1 this fall.

Questions: when would the earliest you feel i would be ready for mcats? when is the latest i could take them and be eligible for start next fall(09). How in your experience have us older students with pre conceived notions on medicine done in your classes?

Sean

Members don't see this ad.

I have been Practicing PA for just about 5 years. I am tired of still not knowing basics in my field, i am tired of having to turn for help (not to confirm my diagnosis, but to lead me in a way to find it). I am serious about applying this year.

I am lacking 1 year of physisics. I plan to enroll into Phy1 this fall.

Questions: when would the earliest you feel i would be ready for mcats? when is the latest i could take them and be eligible for start next fall(09). How in your experience have us older students with pre conceived notions on medicine done in your classes?

Sean
Hmmmmmm. I can't really speak to when "you" would feel ready. I can't imagine you'd "feel" ready for the MCAT if you had to self-teach yourself physics in two months. The lastest you could take the MCAT would be September in reality, October theoretically for some schools with later deadlines. But both test dates put you in the unenviable position of being a the very end of the pile of a rolling admission process.

As far as prep time, speaking personally, when I took the MCAT I hadn't taken Physics, Orgo, Chem in over ten years. I went through a Kaplan book in three weeks, took practice tests for a week and got a 34R.

I'm in the middle of applying so I can't say how us non-trads do in classes, but I imagine we do alright. We're self-motivated and won't take being in medical school for granted.

Good luck though. Honestly, I'd pay for a practice MCAT from AMCAS and see what you think. You'll better gauge whether you think you can pull it off.

I say, at latest take a July MCAT. I took last year's August MCAT and am on my second round of applications. I believe my late application very negatively impacted my chances. I am on one waitlist, but I am reapplying now so that I am not late again. Best of luck! I am a PA with a very similar story--At least we have good stories for applications and interviews...

Members don't see this ad :)
I say, at latest take a July MCAT. I took last year's August MCAT and am on my second round of applications. I believe my late application very negatively impacted my chances. I am on one waitlist, but I am reapplying now so that I am not late again. Best of luck! I am a PA with a very similar story--At least we have good stories for applications and interviews...

So are you saying try totake my MCAT next month in order to apply and start next fall?

So are you saying try totake my MCAT next month in order to apply and start next fall?

If you want to start in the fall of 09 for MD you would have to take the mcat really soon. Most MD applicant who are applying this year would have already taken their mcat by the beginning of august. As the poster above said, he was at an an disadvantage taking the test in august. So if you are hellbent to get in this year and have already taught your self physics I would take it soon. I would make sure you are ready for it first. I would also apply now, and notify aamcas/aacomas that you will take the mcat soon

DO's schools get alot less applicants than MD schools and they will look at an August/ September score. They will definately be alot less time sensitive regarding the mcat than MD school. You can probably get away with taking a mid September mcat, and still get in.

I would worry about the mcat first, make sure you are ready.

Last edited:
Sean--you serious? You could do this. I'm applying for real this time. I've been a PA a little longer than you (8 years) and have been feeling the itch for about as long. I think there's something that happens about 4-5 years into practice when you realize you could be an excellent physician--with the physician training. The opportunity costs are tough to swallow and you especially might find it a little harder as the sole provider of your family but meh. Families can get over lifestyle changes.
Seriously, MCAT kicked my butt. My first attempt last September was 20S (OK, so the writing was pretty good). For me it all came down to a very low PS score (4). I've brushed up a LOT on gen chem and pretty much taught myself physics from textbooks and review books over the past several months (am just taking a physics course now). I took the test again on June 13th. Don't have a score back yet. It felt brutal but the score HAS TO be better. We'll see. I'm applying anyway to see where the chips fall and will go wherever they'll take me. As far as what helped, I did a few things; the Kaplan big book; several practice MCATs; Schaum's outlines etc. I've got a bunch of marked-up practice books & some barely-read ones if you want them...I could meet ya at South of the Border :laugh:
PM me if you want to talk.
Lisa

I'm another PA in a similar situation. This time last year I was in the same boat as you. My plan was to study June-August and take the test in September. I didn't feel ready and decided to apply this year. Looking back I wish I tried to give it a shot. It would have been nice to enter med school in 1 month instead of 13 more. In the end it turned out for the better. My wife and I are able to save up more money in preperation of going to one income. My advice is to take it now and give it a shot.

..to all my fellow PA's, how y'all doing? I'm in the same boat; though recently graduated & starting ER job in 2wks. I'll practice x <2yrs prior to starting med sch. I've all my pre-req. & would take the mcat nxt yr (April/May) for June application cycle. For those of you planning on taking the MCAT, you should take it when you're fully prepare. Good luck y'all & long live the PA profession.

I practiced as a PA for 5 years before entering medical school. I will start year 2 in August. The hardest thing for me was the fact that I had not had basic sciences in over 10 years. I still needed a year of physics and organic chemistry (I took biochem for PA school) when I decided to pursue medical school.
I did the Kaplan review online and took the MCAT with only one semester of Physics completed and only an Organic chem self study. I ended up taking an online organic chem class and received credit for my biochem class so the second semester of orgo was waived.
I did fine on the MCAT. I was lucky in that my version was mostly biology related for BS and general chem related for PS.
One caveat, everyone will say to you 'oh, medical school must be easy for you since you have had it all before', WRONG. Yes, my clinical experience is very helpful in that I have heard the terminology before and for the clinical classes, yes. But Anatomy/lab, histology, physiology, neuroscience were just as grueling for me as for my classmates. In some ways more so because I was out of step with the memorization style of the basic sciences.
But I survived 1st year and going back to medical school was the best decision I have ever made. I am thrilled to be starting second year.

Good luck to evryone on the path and PM me if you have any specific questions. Otherwise post here so everyone can see.

Hi Micah:

Just curious: did you find that adcoms looked on your PA experience and PA grades favorably? There's a lot of speculation on SDN that success in PA school like other grad programs is not as important as less-impressive undergrad performance. For me, I wasn't all that interested in a lot of my undergrad classes, so my grades were pretty unimpressive. About a 3.0 average. If I could go back now and change that I would but I can't; I've made peace with that. My PA grades were excellent (3.87) and I worked damn hard for them. It irritates me that adcoms might not care. But oh well.

As for physics, I'm trudging through that now. I dragged my feet on taking it for quite some time. I managed to learn enough on my own to do passably on MCAT (don't know my retake score yet but I think it will be OK, not great) although my biology knowledge is very solid.

Congrats on being a 2nd year! Very exciting.

Lisa

I practiced as a PA for 5 years before entering medical school. I will start year 2 in August. The hardest thing for me was the fact that I had not had basic sciences in over 10 years. I still needed a year of physics and organic chemistry (I took biochem for PA school) when I decided to pursue medical school.
I did the Kaplan review online and took the MCAT with only one semester of Physics completed and only an Organic chem self study. I ended up taking an online organic chem class and received credit for my biochem class so the second semester of orgo was waived.
I did fine on the MCAT. I was lucky in that my version was mostly biology related for BS and general chem related for PS.
One caveat, everyone will say to you 'oh, medical school must be easy for you since you have had it all before', WRONG. Yes, my clinical experience is very helpful in that I have heard the terminology before and for the clinical classes, yes. But Anatomy/lab, histology, physiology, neuroscience were just as grueling for me as for my classmates. In some ways more so because I was out of step with the memorization style of the basic sciences.
But I survived 1st year and going back to medical school was the best decision I have ever made. I am thrilled to be starting second year.

Good luck to evryone on the path and PM me if you have any specific questions. Otherwise post here so everyone can see.

This was me essentially in a nutshell as well. I'm now a third year medical student getting ready to start rotations, atleast this stuff will be fairly familiar to me. GL to all!!

Hi Micah:

Just curious: did you find that adcoms looked on your PA experience and PA grades favorably? There's a lot of speculation on SDN that success in PA school like other grad programs is not as important as less-impressive undergrad performance. For me, I wasn't all that interested in a lot of my undergrad classes, so my grades were pretty unimpressive. About a 3.0 average. If I could go back now and change that I would but I can't; I've made peace with that. My PA grades were excellent (3.87) and I worked damn hard for them. It irritates me that adcoms might not care. But oh well.

As for physics, I'm trudging through that now. I dragged my feet on taking it for quite some time. I managed to learn enough on my own to do passably on MCAT (don't know my retake score yet but I think it will be OK, not great) although my biology knowledge is very solid.

Lisa

Yes, your undergraduate GPA and MCAT score are going to be the major determinants by which you will be judged for admission into medical school. Having a graduate degree and having clinical knowledge will be helpful but they do not offset a poor undergraduate GPA or a poor MCAT score. If you truly wish to enter medical school, you have to have a total solid and competitive package.

It isn't that we on the admissions committee discount your PA experience or look unfavorably on your PA experience and clinical work but more of a case of the level of competition that you will encounter in the admissions process. It's very difficult to deny admission to a student who has a high uGPA/MCAT in favor of someone whose uGPA is below average no matter what clinical experience that person brings. The average uGPA and MCAT score has gone up every year and there are plenty of folks who exceed those averages. "Passably" on the MCAT isn't going to cut it in this atmosphere.

I certainly hope that your MCAT retake goes well for you but that 3.0 uGPA may be holding you down no matter what you score on the MCAT.

Hi Micah:

Lisa

My experience is that yes, undergrad is still important, but they do appreciate an upward trend. My graduate GPA was also higher than undergrad. That and a decent MCAT combined with your clinical experience will definitely give you a shot.

Hey guys,
I'm surprised by the amount of PA-->MD transitions on here! I was just wondering if you guys had wanted to be doctors in your childhoods, during college, or prior to applying to PA school. Everyone always asks me why I don't want to be an MD because I certainly have the grades/experience/transcripts for it, but to be honest I've never wanted to be a doctor, but I love medicine. Did you feel the same way before? I'm starting my PA program in Sept and feel that I will be thoroughly satisfied with my career choice but you all have me worried now!

Hey guys,
I'm surprised by the amount of PA-->MD transitions on here! I was just wondering if you guys had wanted to be doctors in your childhoods, during college, or prior to applying to PA school. Everyone always asks me why I don't want to be an MD because I certainly have the grades/experience/transcripts for it, but to be honest I've never wanted to be a doctor, but I love medicine. Did you feel the same way before? I'm starting my PA program in Sept and feel that I will be thoroughly satisfied with my career choice but you all have me worried now!

Second year PA student here...when I was a little kiddo I wanted to be a MD, but ended up chasing down the PA profession. Found out as a student that it is not the best match for me and so I just finished up my MD primary application.

Best of luck to you in school!

I was just wondering if you guys had wanted to be doctors in your childhoods, during college, or prior to applying to PA school. Everyone always asks me why I don't want to be an MD because I certainly have the grades/experience/transcripts for it, but to be honest I've never wanted to be a doctor, but I love medicine. Did you feel the same way before? I'm starting my PA program in Sept and feel that I will be thoroughly satisfied with my career choice but you all have me worried now!

You need to ask yourself if you are going to be happy in the PA role. It's a great medical career. I'm very happy with it. From my own personal experience, I need to move on. The reasons are complex. It's not about the fame and fortune. After working in the field for some time, it boils down to needing to do more and having the ability to make the final clinical decision. Don't get scared off from becoming a PA. You will love it.

don't be one of the countless boobs out there that bit off on the prestiege, status thing of being an M.D.

they're going to get the screwing of their lives when Obama finishes with them and he's very likely going to get elected. F.P. docs wages have declined in the last five years. Read CNN Money it's in there. We're the cause of that decline in their pay.

My wife's plastic surgeon even looked burned out and pissed off. She even told me she should have gone PA.

wait till you're 50, tired, and just want to spend more time with your family. you'll find out the hard way nobody cares who you are, what you do. In my town, if you're not collecting an oil lease check, you are a working class sucker even if you're a freakin brain surgeon.

Don't bite off on this racket. Stay PA, have a life besides the office. Nobody cares, trust me on this one before it's too late.

Let me just say that my going to medical school has almost nothing (not absolutely nothing, but almost nothing) to do with prestige and very little to do with money. It's all about the knowledge and the ability to practice independently.
I could move home right now and join a practice with my first supervising physician and dear friend. I could be a partner for the first time in my 8 years as a PA. All well and good but I would always be the PA.
I believe in PAs. I will continue to educate them and hire them. But I'm ready to be the doctor.
There, that about sums it up.
L.

Getting the M.D. will only serve to provide the illusion of being in charge.

You want to look at a laboratory for the future ? San Antonio Texas. It’s the perfect nightmare of things to come.

You’ve got your choice of what kind of slow blood loss you want there practicing medicine. Illegal aliens on medicaid. Their grandparents that show up after the anchor baby is born and they go on Medicare. Retired military on TRICARE because you know, we owe ya for spending the 70-80s in Germany smoking hash racking up retirment points.

You think you are in charge as an M.D., these people are in charge and when the baby boomers retire, it’ll be worse. If Obama gets elected, the remaining unskilled working poor will finish you off with the universal health care.

Yeah, be in charge, totally worth it. Probably almost as much fun as being in charge of the Sadir City Free Clinic.