PA vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Renalynette

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any suggestions. I am 29 and can't decide whether to go all the way or not?

Members don't see this ad.

details pertaining to your education and health care experience would be helpful for forum members to help you in your decision.

Anyone have any suggestions. I am 29 and can't decide whether to go all the way or not?

Shadow both a PA and a physician. You may decide that you like one profession better than the other after this experience. Find out as much as you can about both professions (as they are different in scope of practice and educational requirements for practice) so that you can make a decision that works for you.

Also read the stickied threads at the top of this Forum for a bit more information. Good luck on your journey.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also suggest trying to talk to a medical student and trying to shadow a resident. This may give you more of a feel for what physician training is like. To become a physician you have to put your life on hold for 7 years at the minimum. This does not include the time to take prerecs, MCAT and applying to medical achool. Sure you will have a little free time in there but not much.

Burntcrispy, MD

I agree with Dr. Crispy, wholeheartedly. There isn't much point in going "all the way," if that final destination isn't actually one you want to reach. I chose PA partly because when I weigh the pros and cons, when I think about what and how I want to practice, in the end I don't care to make all the sacrifices it takes to be a physician. There are plenty of MDs who look back and wish they had made a similar call.

Shadow a working MD and a working PA, in similar settings. Then talk to four-year med students and PA students.