Program-Specific Info / Q's Pacific Oregon OTD 20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xfutureOTDx

Reaction score
Starting a thread for Pacific U because communication will begin January. I really hope to attend this school! Does anyone know what the committee looks for (Holistic review?)?

Members don't see this ad.

Starting a thread for Pacific U because communication will begin January. I really hope to attend this school! Does anyone know what the committee looks for (Holistic review?)?
I'm so glad you started this thread. I have been looking for one. I applied and so nervous. This is my first choice. I did call them around early December and the gentlemen in charge told me everything you do counts as expirence, being a mom, babysitting, teaching all expirence so I believe they are very holistic in their review. Good luck!

I'm so glad you started this thread. I have been looking for one. I applied and so nervous. This is my first choice. I did call them around early December and the gentlemen in charge told me everything you do counts as expirence, being a mom, babysitting, teaching all expirence so I believe they are very holistic in their review. Good luck!
I’ve been where you are! Current student here - my cohort is full of super smart, awesome people with a huge variety of backgrounds and experiences - they definitely review applications holistically and care about applicants as dynamic people. In years past they start to send out interview invites in one batch mid to late January and another mid February. There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason as to who gets invited when, so don’t fret if you don’t hear anything for another month. But do call or email Jon-Erik to check in if you haven’t heard anything in a couple weeks, and let him know if it’s your first choice and how excited you are for the opportunity (and thank him for his time - admissions season is nuts and he works his butt off). Worked for me! Let me know if you have other questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I will for sure. What are you favorite things about the program? I am attracted to how much hands on learning is incorporated into the curriculum. Any tips or insights on the interview process?
I’ve been where you are! Current student here - my cohort is full of super smart, awesome people with a huge variety of backgrounds and experiences - they definitely review applications holistically and care about applicants as dynamic people. In years past they start to send out interview invites in one batch mid to late January and another mid February. There doesn’t seem to be much rhyme or reason as to who gets invited when, so don’t fret if you don’t hear anything for another month. But do call or email Jon-Erik to check in if you haven’t heard anything in a couple weeks, and let him know if it’s your first choice and how excited you are for the opportunity (and thank him for his time - admissions season is nuts and he works his butt off). Worked for me! Let me know if you have other questions!

I have my interview in February! Do you have any advice/tips/ what to expect?

I have my interview in February! Do you have any advice/tips/ what to expect?
I don’t know for sure what the format is this year, but in years past there were two big groups for each interview date - one gets there at 8am and does tours lead by a current student, writing prompt session and interviews, then the other group gets there at 10am and everyone has an info session with the director/panel of current students and the second group has tours/writing prompt and interview after. The interviews are done individually -you’ll be interviewed by 2 people (faculty and sometimes alumni) who will have read your personal statement from your application and know a bit about you beforehand, so questions can be pretty holistic and individualized, which gives you a great opportunity to show that you’re a unique person who will contribute to the cohort and do well in the program. Everyone is genuinely nice and laid back and understands how nerve wracking the process can be! I don’t know what the writing prompt will be, but you’ll have one or two questions on a piece of paper and be given a pencil and like 30 min (in a quiet classroom with others from your tour group and the current student leading it) to write your response. A lot of my classmates have said they felt like they bombed it but clearly they didn’t! Put some good thought into what makes OT and the treatments/ exercises we prescribe different from other healthcare professions and have some examples handy of how functioning in little, everyday activities contributes to a meaningful life. Qualities that make a good OT - not just with patients but also as someone who can collaborate inter professionally- will probably come up, so think about what you’ve observed while shadowing and examples of how you have and/or are working on developing those qualities. You don’t have to be perfect! But having a good idea of what OT really is and some insight into yourself is important. I hope this helps!

I don’t know for sure what the format is this year, but in years past there were two big groups for each interview date - one gets there at 8am and does tours lead by a current student, writing prompt session and interviews, then the other group gets there at 10am and everyone has an info session with the director/panel of current students and the second group has tours/writing prompt and interview after. The interviews are done individually -you’ll be interviewed by 2 people (faculty and sometimes alumni) who will have read your personal statement from your application and know a bit about you beforehand, so questions can be pretty holistic and individualized, which gives you a great opportunity to show that you’re a unique person who will contribute to the cohort and do well in the program. Everyone is genuinely nice and laid back and understands how nerve wracking the process can be! I don’t know what the writing prompt will be, but you’ll have one or two questions on a piece of paper and be given a pencil and like 30 min (in a quiet classroom with others from your tour group and the current student leading it) to write your response. A lot of my classmates have said they felt like they bombed it but clearly they didn’t! Put some good thought into what makes OT and the treatments/ exercises we prescribe different from other healthcare professions and have some examples handy of how functioning in little, everyday activities contributes to a meaningful life. Qualities that make a good OT - not just with patients but also as someone who can collaborate inter professionally- will probably come up, so think about what you’ve observed while shadowing and examples of how you have and/or are working on developing those qualities. You don’t have to be perfect! But having a good idea of what OT really is and some insight into yourself is important. I hope this helps!

How was the writing prompt for you last year?

How was the writing prompt for you last year?
Honestly, I felt fine about it. It was kinda nerve wracking to be doing it on the spot With others around and not have a ton of time...I’m not sure if I even had the chance to go back and read what I’d written (the adrenaline of that day makes my memory a little blurry tbh) but I just had the attitude of I know what I know, I believe OT And it’s holistic view of what helps lives work can be powerful medicine and did my best to convey that, and whatever will be will be. If you’ve made it this far in your journey and the process for this program, you’ve got something special worth offering to others. Everyone in my cohort is really bright but some students are stronger writers than others- I’m not sure how much that one portion plays into things, but we’ve all gotten better at writing and doing things on the spot in the past year through the program. I wouldn’t stress too much about that part! Just go into it with excitement for the opportunity and things will fall into place
Oh and don’t forget, in this crazy competitive feeling time, the people you meet on interview day are future friends and collaborators. I was definitely intimidated by some of my fellow interviewees, but am glad I made the effort to try to enjoy the chance to meet cool people and share enthusiasm rather than thinking too much about having to be better than others. Teamwork makes the dream work, and positivity is contagious!

Honestly, I felt fine about it. It was kinda nerve wracking to be doing it on the spot With others around and not have a ton of time...I’m not sure if I even had the chance to go back and read what I’d written (the adrenaline of that day makes my memory a little blurry tbh) but I just had the attitude of I know what I know, I believe OT And it’s holistic view of what helps lives work can be powerful medicine and did my best to convey that, and whatever will be will be. If you’ve made it this far in your journey and the process for this program, you’ve got something special worth offering to others. Everyone in my cohort is really bright but some students are stronger writers than others- I’m not sure how much that one portion plays into things, but we’ve all gotten better at writing and doing things on the spot in the past year through the program. I wouldn’t stress too much about that part! Just go into it with excitement for the opportunity and things will fall into place
Oh and don’t forget, in this crazy competitive feeling time, the people you meet on interview day are future friends and collaborators. I was definitely intimidated by some of my fellow interviewees, but am glad I made the effort to try to enjoy the chance to meet cool people and share enthusiasm rather than thinking too much about having to be better than others. Teamwork makes the dream work, and positivity is contagious!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! Do you know about how many people interview and how many they accept? Your help means alot. Hoping for the best!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! Do you know about how many people interview and how many they accept? Your help means alot. Hoping for the best!
They generally invite 60 people to the interview; About 120 total. The cohort size is 40.

The waitlist is divided into 4 tiers.

Hi sorry to change it up a bit here but my situation is a little different, i'm currently in Japan for a job and so Pacific was nice enough to allow me to have a virtual interview to cut the costs of traveling... Do you happen to know anyone who had to do the interview over skype and got in? and maybe what that was like? Any information would be super helpful! Thank you!!

FYI there will be no writing portion for the interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi sorry to change it up a bit here but my situation is a little different, i'm currently in Japan for a job and so Pacific was nice enough to allow me to have a virtual interview to cut the costs of traveling... Do you happen to know anyone who had to do the interview over skype and got in? and maybe what that was like? Any information would be super helpful! Thank you!!
There are about 2 people in my class who got in through a skype interview. We just had a meeting with Jon-Erik and he stated that skype interviewees are treated the same as in-person interviewees in terms of decision making. I apologize that I don't have any personal experience with the online interview

Have all invitations to interview gone out? Jon-Erik said that there would be two interviews. One in early February and one in late February with invitations going out about 3 weeks ahead of time.

I went to the interview today and was so impressed by everyone I met. I hope the best for everyone who interviewed.

Hi! Last year I heard they called a couple of applicants letting them know they were accepted a week after the interview. Will they do the same this year?

Hello, I'm glad your interview went well! I have mine at the end of the month. Do you mind talking about the interview day, what sort of questions were asked and if there was a writing prompt? Thanks in advance!

Oh, not saying mine went well by any means but I’m terrible at interviews.

There was an informational session all about the program curriculum and faculty to begin with. From there you have a break and then break into a few smaller groups. You then have the interview, a campus tour, or student panel where you can ask current students general questions about Hillsboro, the program, etc.

I’d expect the usual, why do you want to go to Pacific, what does OT mean to you, etc. I would also prepare yourself to be asked about how well you do in group settings and what your role is in that dynamic.

Good luck! I hope it goes better than mine did!

Oh no :( I’m sure yours went well! You’re probably overthinking it!

Wow thanks so much! I’ll definitely prepare and practice for my interview.

Just to confirm, there was no writing sample? And in terms of the interview itself, was the interview a group interview or one on one?
Hey! I’m a current first year student at pacific and helped out for the first interview. There will be no writing portion. They got rid of it this year. And it will be an one on one interview.

I feel like the program does a good job of preparing students to be well-rounded OT clinicians.

The program covers a wide variety of topics but has a strong focus in mental health and occupational justice.

As a psych major in undergrad, I was able to keep up with my peers who were exercise science majors in our anatomy class. The school also prepares you well in topics of psychosocial, neuro, and foundations of OT for the first year

Like all grad schools, it can be stressful. It is important to be passionate about OT because it is a big financial commitment. The professors and staff are also friendly and are always willing to help and accommodate needs.

If you have other questions, I’ll be happy to answer them.

I feel like the program does a good job of preparing students to be well-rounded OT clinicians.

The program covers a wide variety of topics but has a strong focus in mental health and occupational justice.

As a psych major in undergrad, I was able to keep up with my peers who were exercise science majors in our anatomy class. The school also prepares you well in topics of psychosocial, neuro, and foundations of OT for the first year

Like all grad schools, it can be stressful. It is important to be passionate about OT because it is a big financial commitment. The professors and staff are also friendly and are always willing to help and accommodate needs.

If you have other questions, I’ll be happy to answer them.
Is there a white coat ceremony for OTs at pacific because it’s a doctoral program? I know some programs have it and Pacific has white coat for others professions.

Is there a white coat ceremony for OTs at pacific because it’s a doctoral program? I know some programs have it and Pacific has white coat for others professions.
Sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately, there is no white coat ceremony. I don't know the exact reason why but we do have an matriculation ceremony.

Last edited:
I have an interview scheduled for this Saturday at Pacific, does anyone else here? Any tips?

I’m both excited and nervous! So glad I found this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an interview scheduled for this Saturday at Pacific, does anyone else here? Any tips?

I’m both excited and nervous! So glad I found this thread

I have my interview this Saturday too! I'm super nervous but excited to be invited. Does anyone have advice?

I had a Zoom interview with a faculty member last week and it was pretty easy going and casual! I didn't get any situational questions and I would say all of them were pretty straightforward. I got asked all the basic questions like what is OT, difference between OT and PT, what qualities can you bring to the program that might be different from other applicants, a lot of why pacific, why this specific program etc. I also got some questions that were related to my essay and application so i would say to review those materials incase they ask a specific question regarding your background or past experience. Have some good questions prepared too! The professor I talked to had some really great insight and was willing to spend extra time to answer my questions. My interview took about 45 minutes but it really flew by! I hope this helped someone!! Good luck everyone!! :giggle: :xf:

I have my interview this Saturday too! I'm super nervous but excited to be invited. Does anyone have advice?

I would say be confident in your abilities and responses! On their page, they mentioned they look for confidence. You were brought to this interview for a reason so I would say enjoy the ride. I got asked alot of questions about what I did in undergrad, why and how I found OT and my background. The interviewers cared about my upbringing and personality which was really important to me. There were also your normal interview questions such as why OT, what is OT, why us. Good luck! You got this!

Does anyone know the date they are sending out decisions? I only know that they were sending them out after the interviews. I believe the last round of interviews was on 2/29

Does anyone know the date they are sending out decisions? I only know that they were sending them out after the interviews. I believe the last round of interviews was on 2/29

I believe I heard the week of March 16th

I would say be confident in your abilities and responses! On their page, they mentioned they look for confidence. You were brought to this interview for a reason so I would say enjoy the ride. I got asked alot of questions about what I did in undergrad, why and how I found OT and my background. The interviewers cared about my upbringing and personality which was really important to me. There were also your normal interview questions such as why OT, what is OT, why us. Good luck! You got this!
Thanks for the advice!! I think it went really well so I'm anxious to find out what happens :)

Hi all, I received a phone call from John-Erik that they were notifying their top 5 today. Best of luck to everyone !! Go Blazers!

Hi all, I received a phone call from John-Erik that they were notifying their top 5 today. Best of luck to everyone !! Go Blazers!
Did he say anything else regarding other applicants?

I got my acceptance on Friday afternoon! Good luck to everyone!

I also got an email of acceptance on Friday (JST) so Thursday in the states I think!
Good luck everyone, don't lose hope!! :)

I got an email of acceptance !! Let me know if you guys are going to commit !