Pacific University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucbsowarrior

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been accepted to Pacific for this coming year?
Anyone interview?

Members don't see this ad.

just recieved interview invite today. was a bit surprised that interview spots were open next week and week after. sooner than most for me.

I know someone who got accepted a month ago. she doesn't post here on the forum though. her gpa was below average but her OAT was a 360, I believe; Very nice lady she is. best wishes to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted. Met a few nice people on the interview day.
It was very low key.

Would you guys mind sharing your stats? Do you have any idea how many seats they have filled? Just curious... I'm procrastinating on getting my app in! :oops:

Sorry scalded... found your stats in the Acceptance Thread! Very nice! Congrats...

scalded said:
I got accepted. Met a few nice people on the interview day.
It was very low key.

I heard that Michael Goodwin was gone. Who did you interview with?

ucbsowarrior said:

Yeah Michael Goodwin was gone. I heard a rumor that he was going into optometry himself, but that may be wrong.

I interviewed with Dr. Robert Yolton and a student who's name escapes me at the moment. I was never good at remembering people's names. I'm more of a face person. :laugh:

ucbsowarrior said:

Mr. Goodwin went back to undergrad to complete pre-reqs for optometry school. optometry or med school, i'm not totally sure.

To those who've been to PCO and Pacific, how would you compare them, and which did/would you choose? I'm not sure if I should head out to Oregon yet because I've spent so much in this application process already...I imagine it's very nice and raining, though, at least from what I've heard.
Thanks.

How was the interview at Pacific like? Was it with one professor and one student? Can someone tell me the lineup of the day? Is there an essay involved?

I interviewed in December and after reading everyone else's experiences at other schools, it seemed really informal and casual. when i first arrived at the admissions office, they'll take your pic and ask you to write an impromptu essay, which you only have between 10-15min to complete. 1 page max, no more than 3 or 4 paragraphs i think. you have 2 or three choices, none of which have to do with optometry. the one i ended up doing was "what are the characteristics of a good friendship?" or something like that... really informal. i sat down at a little coffee table in front of a couch and wrote it while my boyfriend was sitting next to me, while the girl who gave it to me wasn't even paying attention or monitoring me at all.

You can choose to do a tour if you want, which took probably 30-45 min, if that. the school is really small, as it only has about 2000 students total, half of which are graduate/professional students. we spent most of the time in the optometry building walking around and looking at all the different classrooms. 1st years stay in one classroom pretty much the whole day, until labs and such. same things goes for other years. you stay in one classroom while your teachers come to you.

the interview was supposed to last around 50min, i got mine done in 30min. i ended up answering a couple of their questions with only one "answer" because i elaborated and explained some stuff, so it covered a lot of their questions. it was pretty informal, one current opt student and then one other person. i was interviewed by janelle holmboe, so it wasn't a professor and a female opt. student, so i guess it was a little less intimidating for me. i think the girl before me had a professor tho. but they were really nice and explained everything. they basically took turns asking questions, and asked questions based on my answers. all of the questions they asked are pretty much all the ones you can find on this forum. they didn't ask anything about legislature or optometry in general. they did do a "critical thinking" part close to the end, where they have 10 pieces of paper face down, you pick one, and it has an ethical situation you have to respond to, and tell them what you would do. mine went something like this..."if you contracted a contagious disease like AIDS or TB, would you tell your patients? and if yes, would you tell all of them?" they said they didn't care what your actual answer was, but how you presented it and such...it really wasn't that bad. i'm glad that it was my first and last interview, because i had a relatively good experience :)

Thanks bchgirl for the informative response! I'm curious to know what your impression of the school and the facilities was. I gather that you are choosing to attend Pacific, so it must be pretty good! I'm should hear back about an interview next week, and I've already been accepted to ICO. Oregon is MUCH closer to Reno than Chicago, so I'm really hoping that I like Pacific! Are you eligible for WICHE? Thanks again!

I think it all depends on what you're looking for in the school. my choices, coming from reno as well, were berkeley, southern cal, and pacific. since i really didn't want to live in california, and i like the small town feel, coming from elko, it really narrowed me down to pacific. the school itself is really small, but they're currently working on new facilities in the neighboring town of hillsboro, where everything seems to be (new shopping, apartments, etc) and is a really nice looking town in general from what i've seen. i think they plan to eventually move the whole optometry school (there's only one building anyway) to the new facility within the next couple of years, most likely during my time there. so i can't really make a judge on the future facilities, but i assume they'll be nice. as for the current ones, they're not bad. pacific is an old school, so its not really the high tech, futuristic type... but it's not bad. from reading other people's responses, it sounds like there are probably more technologically advanced schools out there, so like i said, it depends on what you're looking for. but i really liked the area, which was definitely an important factor for me. and yeah, i'm a WICHE applicant, so i'm crossing my fingers, since pacific's a private school and all :)

Thanks for the responses!
A couple more questions though :) How do you become a WICHE applicant? When is the deadline? How much money do you get?

bchgrl27 said:
I think it all depends on what you're looking for in the school. my choices, coming from reno as well, were berkeley, southern cal, and pacific. since i really didn't want to live in california, and i like the small town feel, coming from elko, it really narrowed me down to pacific. the school itself is really small, but they're currently working on new facilities in the neighboring town of hillsboro, where everything seems to be (new shopping, apartments, etc) and is a really nice looking town in general from what i've seen. i think they plan to eventually move the whole optometry school (there's only one building anyway) to the new facility within the next couple of years, most likely during my time there. so i can't really make a judge on the future facilities, but i assume they'll be nice. as for the current ones, they're not bad. pacific is an old school, so its not really the high tech, futuristic type... but it's not bad. from reading other people's responses, it sounds like there are probably more technologically advanced schools out there, so like i said, it depends on what you're looking for. but i really liked the area, which was definitely an important factor for me. and yeah, i'm a WICHE applicant, so i'm crossing my fingers, since pacific's a private school and all :)

Awesome...a fellow Renoite! Are you still in school? I'll be graduating in May w/ a Bio degree from UNR... looking forward to moving on! I grew up in Lovelock, so I completely understand the small town thing. I'm still interested in Chicago though, just because it is sooo different than anything I've ever done before. But, considering if I get WICHE... Pacific would be very affordable. We'll see... best of luck to you!

I'm only in school for one more semester (Yay!) I'll be graduating in May as well w/ a biochem degree. I'm glad to be done in four years, only to have to go through four more...oh well, that's life :) Good luck next semester!

Woohoo... I got an interview! I'll be interviewing on Febuary 3rd along with 15-18 other applicants. It's called... "Interview Day". (oohhhh...aaahhh). I guess they pack in all sorts of activites from a lunch with faculty, student panel, clinical demonstration, tour, and of course, the interview! Does anyone know of any good places to stay in Portland? My husband and I will be turning this into a mini-vacation!

Wow, I wish I went to an interview day :( I just came back from Forest Grove yesterday. The school was good...they told me I got accepted but I'm not so sure if I would consider it a vacation area, although Portland is pretty cool. Living is very cheap there. I was told that a new or 2 br apt is around 600. So good luck to all of those who are interviewing!

Opt2010 said:
Wow, I wish I went to an interview day :( I just came back from Forest Grove yesterday. The school was good...they told me I got accepted but I'm not so sure if I would consider it a vacation area, although Portland is pretty cool. Living is very cheap there. I was told that a new or 2 br apt is around 600. So good luck to all of those who are interviewing!

Portland is cool. The Oregon coast is near by. Tillamook cheese factory, Multnomah Falls the list goes on and on. Forest Grove isn't a vacation destination but there is a lot to do near by.