PACIFIC/UOP IDS Class of 2009 & alternate listed applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NileBDS

SDNator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PACIFIC/UOP IDS Class of 2009

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your amazing success and your dream come true ! Yes, it happens, and yes, it did ! And guess what, YOU did it !
I am sure that all of you are highly qualified, and that PACIFIC School of Dentistry will be very lucky to have every one of you. Job well done.
I know exactly how it feels ! Actually, I can say that every time I walk through the dental school door, I get this sense of pride and self-accomplishment in myself, which makes me proud. Proud of who I am and proud of what I have become. I am sure you will enjoy it as much, if not more.

I do not have much time to post in SDN anymore, as you guys will come to understand why, not too far from now. I try to post whenever I have time, which apparently is not too often. We are on Christmas break from school now for a couple of weeks until new year. I will be on SDN more frequently in days to come and would be glad to answer any questions you may have, if you need any student feedback or just any questions that may cross your mind about the program.
Also please let me know if you are having trouble deciding where to live, whether or not to commute or even if you don’t have the first clue where to start. It’s OK …

Some helpful hints to start you off:
-Not a good idea to own a car in San Francisco. Public transportation is awesome, cheap and abundant. In addition, gas is expensive, insurance even more so and parking in the city (even around school) is tough. You could easily spend a couple hundred dollars a month on all that stuff unnecessarily. I would recommend putting that money into a more expensive apartment within walking distance of school, which will help you a lot.
-Try to find a place as close to school as possible (within walking distance would be optimal). If not, make sure you can get there by public transport.
-Real estate in San Fran is some of the highest in the nation, and it shows. I would not count on moving much of your furniture (if any at all) because apartments are small here. The places that are more comfortable (or somewhat big/1br) are pretty pricy … around $1,500/month. However, still manageable.
-For those of you eligible for financial aid, yes it is enough. You will just need to be wise with your money. It really should not be a problem, especially if you decide to live with a roommate. Also, if you apply for the maximum amount of fin aid, you will be allocated approximately $1,950/month, which should cover EVERYTHING. Rent, food, clothes … everything. The only thing you do not have to worry about is your school supplies (if you need any at all – everything is included in your student kit). I’m talking plastic teeth, new burs, … you will be allocated about $200-300 per month (or per quarter-not sure) for your book store/supplies account. Usually I am left with more than half of what’s allocated at the end of the period. Don’t worry about the financial aspect of your education if you are applying for the maximum amount of funds … they’ve got you covered.
-Get lots of rest, because the first quarter will need all your attention.

PACIFIC/UOP IDS 2009 alternate list applicants:

Think of it this way … In a way, you got accepted to the program, the only thing is that they’re trying to find you a seat. In other words a vacancy, if for any reason, one of the already accepted students decides not to join.
Your chances on the alternate list are not bad at all. I got called from the waitlist and so did at least 5 more of my class mates … It just really depends on what your position on that list is. They really can not tell you what your position is … even if you get accepted. So the wait makes you even more anxious …
The good news is that they want you ! The other good news is that most PACIFIC applicants apply to other California schools as well. California schools have pretty close selection criteria, which means that usually students may be accepted to more than one school, and may decide to go elsewhere, which would be great news for you !
The alternate list is there for a reason, and yes, they sometimes call people as late as May or even June ! The best advice I can give you is hang in there. But in the mean time, do not count on it. I would suggest that you go on with everything as usual as Dr. Neilsen pointed out during your orientation, whether you have more interviews to go to, or applications to send or exams to re-take. Let the alternate list bee your “fall-back” rather than your last hope.
You were called for the interview, and placed on that waiting list for a reason … and that reason is that you are working in the right direction and pushing the right buttons … all you need to do is push a little bit harder. I am sure that you gave it your best shot the first time but you’d be surprised how much more experience you will have and how much better you can do, if you need to, your second time around.
Above all, I hope to see you guys soon in the incoming IDS class. Wouldn’t it be great ?

Sherif

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, thanks so much for the encouraging post...

I'm on the alternate list :( .....Both in USC and Pacific!

Goodluck to you to in all your endeavors...:thumbup:

hey sherif :)

thanks a bunch for all the info!...ya3ni fi3lan inta gada3 wi miya miya ;)

to the waitlisters...i know of a couple of ppl who got accepted & have turned down UOP's offer...who knows? maybe ur next...so hang in there! ;)

to all the 2009 IDS'ers...congrats on getting in :)...GET AS MUCH REST (& FUN! ;)) AS U CAN!!!...i'm personally in hibernation mode & don't plan on coming out of it until july!! :sleep:

see u all soon! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Sherif
I must say nothing could be more encouraging than your wonderful words. I really really appreciate you taking this effort!! Thanks a bunch.
Merry Christmas and Have a Great New Year!!

PACIFIC/UOP IDS Class of 2009

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your amazing success and your dream come true ! Yes, it happens, and yes, it did ! And guess what, YOU did it !
I am sure that all of you are highly qualified, and that PACIFIC School of Dentistry will be very lucky to have every one of you. Job well done.
I know exactly how it feels ! Actually, I can say that every time I walk through the dental school door, I get this sense of pride and self-accomplishment in myself, which makes me proud. Proud of who I am and proud of what I have become. I am sure you will enjoy it as much, if not more.

I do not have much time to post in SDN anymore, as you guys will come to understand why, not too far from now. I try to post whenever I have time, which apparently is not too often. We are on Christmas break from school now for a couple of weeks until new year. I will be on SDN more frequently in days to come and would be glad to answer any questions you may have, if you need any student feedback or just any questions that may cross your mind about the program.
Also please let me know if you are having trouble deciding where to live, whether or not to commute or even if you don’t have the first clue where to start. It’s OK …

Some helpful hints to start you off:
-Not a good idea to own a car in San Francisco. Public transportation is awesome, cheap and abundant. In addition, gas is expensive, insurance even more so and parking in the city (even around school) is tough. You could easily spend a couple hundred dollars a month on all that stuff unnecessarily. I would recommend putting that money into a more expensive apartment within walking distance of school, which will help you a lot.
-Try to find a place as close to school as possible (within walking distance would be optimal). If not, make sure you can get there by public transport.
-Real estate in San Fran is some of the highest in the nation, and it shows. I would not count on moving much of your furniture (if any at all) because apartments are small here. The places that are more comfortable (or somewhat big/1br) are pretty pricy … around $1,500/month. However, still manageable.
-For those of you eligible for financial aid, yes it is enough. You will just need to be wise with your money. It really should not be a problem, especially if you decide to live with a roommate. Also, if you apply for the maximum amount of fin aid, you will be allocated approximately $1,950/month, which should cover EVERYTHING. Rent, food, clothes … everything. The only thing you do not have to worry about is your school supplies (if you need any at all – everything is included in your student kit). I’m talking plastic teeth, new burs, … you will be allocated about $200-300 per month (or per quarter-not sure) for your book store/supplies account. Usually I am left with more than half of what’s allocated at the end of the period. Don’t worry about the financial aspect of your education if you are applying for the maximum amount of funds … they’ve got you covered.
-Get lots of rest, because the first quarter will need all your attention.

PACIFIC/UOP IDS 2009 alternate list applicants:

Think of it this way … In a way, you got accepted to the program, the only thing is that they’re trying to find you a seat. In other words a vacancy, if for any reason, one of the already accepted students decides not to join.
Your chances on the alternate list are not bad at all. I got called from the waitlist and so did at least 5 more of my class mates … It just really depends on what your position on that list is. They really can not tell you what your position is … even if you get accepted. So the wait makes you even more anxious …
The good news is that they want you ! The other good news is that most PACIFIC applicants apply to other California schools as well. California schools have pretty close selection criteria, which means that usually students may be accepted to more than one school, and may decide to go elsewhere, which would be great news for you !
The alternate list is there for a reason, and yes, they sometimes call people as late as May or even June ! The best advice I can give you is hang in there. But in the mean time, do not count on it. I would suggest that you go on with everything as usual as Dr. Neilsen pointed out during your orientation, whether you have more interviews to go to, or applications to send or exams to re-take. Let the alternate list bee your “fall-back” rather than your last hope.
You were called for the interview, and placed on that waiting list for a reason … and that reason is that you are working in the right direction and pushing the right buttons … all you need to do is push a little bit harder. I am sure that you gave it your best shot the first time but you’d be surprised how much more experience you will have and how much better you can do, if you need to, your second time around.
Above all, I hope to see you guys soon in the incoming IDS class. Wouldn’t it be great ?

Sherif
I am placed on alternate list to pacific

Thanks for your nice wishes ...
Good Luck to you too ! I hope you get called this year ... both are great schools !

Sherif

Hi there, thanks so much for the encouraging post...

I'm on the alternate list :( .....Both in USC and Pacific!

Goodluck to you to in all your endeavors...:thumbup:

Anytime ... :thumbup:

hey sherif

thanks a bunch for all the info!...ya3ni fi3lan inta gada3 wi miya miya

to the waitlisters...i know of a couple of ppl who got accepted & have turned down UOP's offer...who knows? maybe ur next...so hang in there!

to all the 2009 IDS'ers...congrats on getting in :)...GET AS MUCH REST (& FUN! ;)) AS U CAN!!!...i'm personally in hibernation mode & don't plan on coming out of it until july!! :sleep:

see u all soon! :)

I am glad that you found the post useful !
If you need any help, please do not hesitate to ask ...
Best holiday wishes to you to !
Good Luck !

Hey Sherif
I must say nothing could be more encouraging than your wonderful words. I really really appreciate you taking this effort!! Thanks a bunch.
Merry Christmas and Have a Great New Year!!

hey Sherif,

tks a lot for ur support & encouragement, which you have been relentlessly offering us.....its great that we will have you with us when we join UOP.....

HGL:)

Had anyone been called from the alternate list for USC or UOP so far???

Also, Does anyone has an idea till when they can call people from the waiting list?