Pacific's New Dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DR. BTE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Pacific and would like to get any opinions from current students on the new dean. I understand he has some large shoes to fill, but is he doing a good job so far? Have there been any noticable changes?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

DR. BTE said:
I am applying to Pacific and would like to get any opinions from current students on the new dean. I understand he has some large shoes to fill, but is he doing a good job so far? Have there been any noticable changes?
Thank you.
Who cares about administration, UOP is not going anywhere and you will get your top notch education there regardless of who the dean is, I mean Harvard did not lose any credibility when its President resigned because he said in one of his speeches something around the corner that woman are less opt to succeed in Math and Sciences and genes play a role, bla bla bla. That one sentence was enough pressure to boot himself out before he got the boot by force, for there were i think more than one "no confidence" votes by the faculty against him.

:confused: I think its a reasonable question when they are going to pay about 300k to spend the next 3 years there.

MD2b20004 said:
Who cares about administration, UOP is not going anywhere and you will get your top notch education there regardless of who the dean is, I mean Harvard did not lose any credibility when its President resigned because he said in one of his speeches something around the corner that woman are less opt to succeed in Math and Sciences and genes play a role, bla bla bla. That one sentence was enough pressure to boot himself out before he got the boot by force, for there were i think more than one "no confidence" votes by the faculty against him.

Members don't see this ad :)
DR. BTE said:
Thank you.

The "new" dean is not really a new dean, he has years & years of experience in similar positions..... the Pacific is doing just fine.... and looking forward for more and more improvements.... good luck in ur application.... :thumbup:

kilani said:
The "new" dean is not really a new dean, he has years & years of experience in similar positions..... the Pacific is doing just fine.... and looking forward for more and more improvements.... good luck in ur application.... :thumbup:

I love it here, and Dr. Ferrillo is an awesome guy! He has large shoes to fill but the students are responding to him very positively. I've talked to him personally once and I he is really cool to talk to. We are going golfing with him next week, at our Stockton orientation, very much looking forward to it.

UOPDDS09 said:
I love it here, and Dr. Ferrillo is an awesome guy! He has large shoes to fill but the students are responding to him very positively. I've talked to him personally once and I he is really cool to talk to. We are going golfing with him next week, at our Stockton orientation, very much looking forward to it.

Very good stuff. Let us know how you're experience goes as you progress.

I think you guys at UOP will get a much different Ferillo that we did at UNLV. Here, he walked around liked he owned the place and acted like students were just pawns in his political games. I don't think that would fly at an established school, and I am sure he acts as such. He would be a good dean if that attitude has changed, which it sounds like he has. But lets hope he stays that way. We all know that the new kid in the class is always nice for the first little bit until his true personality comes out. But like I said, the difference between UNLV and UOP is huge in that we were just starting up so his duties were much more involved here. Those huge decision responsibilities gave him a good 6 more inches to his ego "height." ;)

unlvdmd said:
I think you guys at UOP will get a much different Ferillo that we did at UNLV. Here, he walked around liked he owned the place and acted like students were just pawns in his political games. I don't think that would fly at an established school, and I am sure he acts as such. He would be a good dean if that attitude has changed, which it sounds like he has. But lets hope he stays that way. We all know that the new kid in the class is always nice for the first little bit until his true personality comes out. But like I said, the difference between UNLV and UOP is huge in that we were just starting up so his duties were much more involved here. Those huge decision responsibilities gave him a good 6 more inches to his ego "height." ;)

Funny to talk about "height". That's probably the biggest thing I've noticed so far since I'm so short. My neck doesn't hurt when I talk to the dean now. Dugoni was well over 6 ft and Ferrillo is probably about a foot shorter. Students from UNLV seem to not have liked Ferrillo very much, but I'm just wondering what people expect from a dean. We hardly saw Dugoni because he was off raising money most of the time. He'd give us a talk once a quarter and spout off some grandfather-type advice to the class, make a few jokes, pronounce everyone's name wrong, and then disappear for a few weeks.

I think it's too early to really tell how things are going so far. I haven't noticed any real changes yet since the majority of last year's admin staff is still with us and they're the ones who really run the day-to-day stuff at school. When Dugoni was dean, we'd probably only see him once a week or so because he was usually somewhere raising money. At least we've seen Ferrillo around more than that so far...could be because the ortho clinic caught on fire and the sprinklers flooded the school last week, but we seem to be recovering ok. Ferrillo's dad just died 2 weeks ago too, the night before our White Coat, but he still made it to the ceremony.

crazy_sherm said:
ortho clinic caught on fire and the sprinklers flooded the school last week, but we seem to be recovering ok. Ferrillo's dad just died 2 weeks ago too, the night before our White Coat, but he still made it to the ceremony.

Thats too bad about both the fire and his dad. That is totally Ferillo....he always finds a way to be EVERYWHERE! In all honesty, the reason he was such a frustrating dean with us is he would tell us what we wanted to hear and then never really act on it cause the "public tax payers" see it better the other way. Major example: we have to pay for our dental work at our school. He kept telling us "oh, I am working on it." But those high up told us YEAH RIGHT! They think they should get free work since they pay for a percent of the school. Stupid things like that. He really would be a great dean in an established school where things are not expected to change so rapidly like at a new school.

And you make an interesting point about what is expected of a dean. In most instances they are NOT around much. He was different. And interestingly, that is what kind of hurt Ferrillo's rep here at our school. He kind of made himself "too available" to the student body. He took requests a lot and kept saying "yeah I see your concern and we are working on that." Which is a double edged sword cause it was nice to see him talking to us, but the promises were blind ended and never seemed to have a resolution. So I think with us being a new school, our expectations were much different than say, at a school like UOP.

The dean seems to be fine. Personable and easy to talk to. He's still getting his feet wet, and he hasn't changed anything so far. He's keeping all of the traditions established under Dugoni. We are still in the honeymoon phase of our relationship with Dr. Ferrillo.