Pageantry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lizzie Bartlet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you list pageants in your EC's? I competed for five years and was a 2nd runner-up at my state finals.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure if it was a long-term commitment in which you were successful why not.
They want a diverse class and I don't think too many pageant princesses apply to medical school.

If I did, they'd revoke my mancard for good.

If you're proud of it, you might. I know it takes a LOT of work, and it is, after all, an EC. It's a tough call because of some of the negative associations people may relate to "pageant girls."

You do run the risk of some people seeing the app and just laughing as they think of Miss South Carolina, because not everyone knows how much effort the activity involves.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha I don't think miss south carolina has taken the mcat or would score too highly if she did...

Honestly I would suggest you put it in. It really is a unique EC not too many girls can brag about. Make sure you don't make it look superficial. If ever asked, focus on how it matured you as a person, yada yada, etc. Keep in mind a couple of people here and there may be superficial and make associations about your ability to be in medicine on something as simple as that. But it really shouldn't be a problem if you have great grades and mcat, and a few other EC thrown in there, like volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Maybe include some of your competition pictures in the file? :D (kidding...unless...nm)

what about if you've done just one pageant? i did the Miss Phi Beta Sigma Pageant at my school and placed.

Had one of the Miss USA state pageant winners in my medical school class. She made the Top 15 but didn't go any further in the Miss USA pagent. She was in my "tank" group for Gross and loved to clean up our dissections. We loved her to death because she was so stereotypically "lovely". She went into OB-Gyn as expected.

Definitely put it down as an EC. It's a unique EC that can help set you apart. During interviews, I got asked a lot about the pageants I had participated in so it was a little ice-breaker. Good luck! :D

I think that only a set of pictures in an evening gown and bathing suit can help us decide if this is EC worthy.

Would you list pageants in your EC's? I competed for five years and was a 2nd runner-up at my state finals.

definitely, med schools want diversity and this is a very unique EC.