Paid off 220k loans. I’m finally free!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Work per diem in psych ER. Averaging more than 600k+ a year working a little more than half the month (mix of nights and day shifts) and taking the rest off. Early 30s

I think I will cut it down to 10-11 days next year and travel to South east Asia for 3 weeks every month. I want to enjoy life more. To everyone in this journey, good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 22 users
Wow! Congrats! Enjoy your time off! How much does it average per hour per diem where you are at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice work. You have the most interesting lifestyle among us on this forum.

In several years, I'll likely slow down in terms of work and do something similar instead of leaving medicine. A few questions about how you set this up:

1. If you lose this gig, how will you find a replacement? Do you use locums agency? How easy is it to find something that allows you to work 1.5 weeks per month? What about 6 months on and 6 months off?

2. How do you set up your tax home and receive mail? Parent's house? Your own house? Rent a mailbox with mail forwarding service?

3. Can you access US bank account / brokerage account in another country? Do you need VPN?

4. What is your monthly expenses per month overseas?

Reactions: 1 user
Nice work. You have the most interesting lifestyle among us on this forum.

In several years, I'll likely slow down in terms of work and do something similar instead of leaving medicine. A few questions about how you set this up:

1. If you lose this gig, how will you find a replacement? Do you use locums agency? How easy is it to find something that allows you to work 1.5 weeks per month? What about 6 months on and 6 months off?

2. How do you set up your tax home and receive mail? Parent's house? Your own house? Rent a mailbox with mail forwarding service?

3. Can you access US bank account / brokerage account in another country? Do you need VPN?

4. What is your monthly expenses per month overseas?
1) I’m credentialed at 5+ hospitals. All per diem. I have a main full time per diem gig. Whatever shifts I can’t fill, I pick from the other ones if they have openings.

Essentially. I have full control of my schedule and I can create whatever arrangement I want. My full time allows me to invest in a 401k Since I work full time hours on average.

2. I have an apartment.

3. Yes I have a US bank

4. It varies. I have an elite Thai visa so I can live in Thailand and leave the country whenever I want. In Thailand, you can find an apartment easily for 200 dollars, get one on the beach for 600 or get a luxury for 1000. At the end of the day, if I make 35k-40k before taxes working this set up next year, I will be able to live like a king overseas regardless.

If I get tired of this lifestyle, I can easily transition, buy a house in the USA and go from there. For the most part, by living overseas, I am shielding myself from inflation to a large degree which allows me to save. And yet I’m still having a lot of fun since it’s all time off.

Reactions: 3 users
1) I’m credentialed at 5+ hospitals. All per diem. I have a main full time per diem gig. Whatever shifts I can’t fill, I pick from the other ones if they have openings.

Essentially. I have full control of my schedule and I can create whatever arrangement I want. My full time allows me to invest in a 401k Since I work full time hours on average.

2. I have an apartment.

3. Yes I have a US bank

4. It varies. I have an elite Thai visa so I can live in Thailand and leave the country whenever I want. In Thailand, you can find an apartment easily for 200 dollars, get one on the beach for 600 or get a luxury for 1000. At the end of the day, if I make 35k-40k before taxes working this set up next year, I will be able to live like a king overseas regardless.

If I get tired of this lifestyle, I can easily transition, buy a house in the USA and go from there. For the most part, by living overseas, I am shielding myself from inflation to a large degree which allows me to save. And yet I’m still having a lot of fun since it’s all time off.
Awesome setup, if I had no progeny or was single I could definitely see doing something like this for a few years. If you keep it up leave us q6 month or annual updates on how you enjoy it professionally, personally, and financially.

Reactions: 1 users
Great job. In 5-7 years I'd probably go 3 weeks on and 1 wk off a month since i am contract and have a PP. I'd love to work my current work while traveling a 1-2wks here and there overseas but i dont think i can do it technically aside from my private pay patients but not sure since insurance requires you to be present in the states. So maybe step 1 would be work vacations while hopping around the states in different air bnb's like hawai, montana, carolina beaches, colorado, etc some of which i have already done.

As much flexibility as I have currently, I really can't be off at any single stretch for more than 10 days in a row so like a Thurs to a following Sunday is the best I can do. At 2 wks max I lose $$ since i have no PTO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user