Paid to Specialize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harkkam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that you can get paid to specialize in dentistry after dental school. Ive seen a couple of schools offer 50k a yr with tution deferred to train you in ortho or ped dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

50k sounds high, I think the stipend is lower, but there tends to be a stipend

Usually there is only a stipend for the programs that are hospital based. Ortho usually pays tutition still, although at my school it is much cheaper than normal D-school tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
montefiore in NYC for pedo has a stipend of around 52k

All hospital based pedo in NYC around 50-55K/year. St Barnabas has an ortho program which pays similarly, must be under the radar for your guys, no one ever mentions it as an ortho option. They are accredited and have been around for a while.

All hospital based pedo in NYC around 50-55K/year....

....which is equivalent to $875.32 everywhere else in the country. Don't let the seemingly shiny things lure you in.

....which is equivalent to $875.32 everywhere else in the country. Don't let the seemingly shiny things lure you in.

barnabas is in new jersey and not to far from some pretty cheap (but really sketchy) places. you COULD live in the equivalent if you really wanted to, but i wouldn't suggest it :laugh:

Dang. And I thought my VA GPR stipend was pretty good.

Of course, when you control for cost of living...

where are u ending up next year?

barnabas is in new jersey and not to far from some pretty cheap (but really sketchy) places. you COULD live in the equivalent if you really wanted to, but i wouldn't suggest it :laugh:

Beats living in the gay neighborhood like Toof. :smuggrin:

Is it true that you can get paid to specialize in dentistry after dental school. Ive seen a couple of schools offer 50k a yr with tution deferred to train you in ortho or ped dentistry.

You may want to check your sources a bit more thoroughly (at least for ortho). Most places you have to fork it over, many have no stipend at all, and only a few will pay more than $15k/yr. Don't jump on the "I want to specialize" ship just cause you think it will make you a few bucks. Do it cause it interests you.