Pain MOCA Minute thing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emd123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to do this Pain MOCA minute thing, by the end of the year, but haven't heard much about it.

Has anyone does the Pain MOCA Minute thing, yet?

How does it work?

How hard/easy is it compared to the actual Pain board exam?

What's the best way to prepare for it?

What happens if you fail it?

Members don't see this ad.

It's easy. You can do it on your computer or in the app. 30 questions are released per quarter for total of 120 per year. The max you can do is 30 per day so don't leave it till the last minute or have you start at 4 days before end of the calendar year.

There's some metric you can look at for how you are doing. Unless you're answering just a ton wrong I don't think it's an issue.

Edit: don't prepare, just do the questions. The idea is you are supposed to read the explanations and learn from them. This latter part is debatable.

Reactions: 1 user
Is Pain MOCA minute separate than the Anesthesia MOCA minute?

They are very generous on the accuracy rate btw don’t sweat it

Members don't see this ad :)
It's easy. You can do it on your computer or in the app. 30 questions are released per quarter for total of 120 per year. The max you can do is 30 per day so don't leave it till the last minute or have you start at 4 days before end of the calendar year.

There's some metric you can look at for how you are doing. Unless you're answering just a ton wrong I don't think it's an issue.

Edit: don't prepare, just do the questions. The idea is you are supposed to read the explanations and learn from them. This latter part is debatable.
For me the anesthesia questions have been easier than the pain questions. Even with me being 10 plus years from any anesthesia.

Is this an option for initial pain certification, or just to maintain certification after initially passing the standardized in-person multiple choice pain boards?

maintenance only.

it is like 1000 times less stressful than taking a recert exam every 10 years.

costs less, even though you have to pay each year, as you end up paying $$$ for recert books, courses, have to take time off to study and/or the exam.

every 3 months you are can do 90 questions, so the next set is available today for me. i do them usually 5-10 at a time, when i feel like it. get a bunch wrong, i quit for the day. ..

Reactions: 1 users
This! I would have dropped my anesthesia boards, but don't sweat it now. Only a minor PITA now.

For me the anesthesia questions have been easier than the pain questions. Even with me being 10 plus years from any anesthesia.

maintenance only.

costs less, even though you have to pay each year, as you end up paying $$$ for recert books, courses, have to take time off to study and/or the exam.

every 3 months you are can do 90 questions, so the next set is available today for me. i do them usually 5-10 at a time, when i feel like it. get a bunch wrong, i quit for the day. ..

This! I would have dropped my anesthesia boards, but don't sweat it now. Only a minor PITA now.
Anyone know the minimum percentage you have to get right?

Also, we have to do this along with the other MOCA stuff right? Like the 25 hours of safety courses or something?

there is some statistic that they have, but dont announce what that specific number is. it is apparently not just based on right/wrong, but how many other people got it wrong.

yes, MOCA essentially just replaced the 10 year test.