Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SerZVA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows what pain fellowships have accepted neuro residents in the past. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Its possible... You'll rotate in pain during neuro residency.

I am currently doing a rotation as a MS4 in a huge pain clinic at a university hospital. I asked my attending about that... PM&R is tough to get a pain fellowship, neurology is even tougher.

I really can't see how neurology trains you for pain, its all needle sticks and fluoroscopy. I guess understanding the spine would help as a neurologist... but its just so procedure based that it may be tough for a neurologist. I used to think pain management is all diagnosis and managing meds, but its not. It has a minor "neuro" physical exam component, but other than that its all procedure. I'm not saying a neurologist couldn't do pain, but I think it would be a waste of 4 years neurology training.

Just wondering if anyone knows what pain fellowships have accepted neuro residents in the past. Thanks.
Mass General's pain fellowship has taken in neurologists and physiatrists in the past. Overall, pain fellowships are very difficult for anyone other than anesthesiologists to obtain (and I hear they are quite competitive among anesthesia folks as well).

I really can't see how neurology trains you for pain, its all needle sticks and fluoroscopy. I guess understanding the spine would help as a neurologist... but its just so procedure based that it may be tough for a neurologist. I used to think pain management is all diagnosis and managing meds, but its not. It has a minor "neuro" physical exam component, but other than that its all procedure. I'm not saying a neurologist couldn't do pain, but I think it would be a waste of 4 years neurology training.
If thats your reasoning, you could say the same thing about any other neurology fellowship as well. Anyhow, there is quite a lot of research in pain medicine that I think would attract the interest of quite a number of neurologists.