Palinopsia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tartrate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this? Along with its associated symptoms, commonly described by visual snow and blue field entoptic phenomenon. What are your thoughts on its pathology? Seems research and medical knowledge is scant on this subject, albeit the condition is rare.

Members don't see this ad.

Strictly speaking, palinopsia refers to afterimages that remain in the vision after the stimulus has left. Sort of like when you look at a bright light and see a spot in your central vision for a few minutes. Visual snow is a different phenomenon which sometimes accompanies palinopsia, where people see a "snow" pattern (like on TV) in either one eye or one hemifield. Both are theorized to be due to decreased inhibition in the visual cortex in response to decreased input (like turning up the gain on a CCD). It probably isn't that simple, but is likely an OK way of thinking of the process.

I've seen visual snow far more often than palinopsia, both from ophthalmic conditions (like CRAO on a background of MD) and brain conditions (occipital stroke, LGN compression). Visual snow really seems to annoy people. It responds pretty well to VPA or Tegretol, in my less-than-extensive experience.

Reactions: 1 user
...Both are theorized to be due to decreased inhibition in the visual cortex in response to decreased input (like turning up the gain on a CCD)....

This kind of makes sense, considering the aforementioned symptoms are frequently accompanied by tinnitus.

I found this tidbit about tinnitus, which seems to relate to the visual symptoms we're discussing about:

Studies by researchers at the University of Western Australia suggest that tinnitus is caused by increased neural activity in the auditory brainstem where the brain processes sounds, causing some auditory nerve cells to become overexcited. The basis of this theory is that most people with tinnitus also have hearing loss[8] and the frequencies they cannot hear link to the subjective frequencies of their tinnitus.[9] Models of hearing loss and the brain support the idea that a homeostatic response of central dorsal cochlear nucleus neurons could result in them being hyperactive in a compensation process to the loss of hearing input.[10] This in turn is related to changes in the genes involved in regulating the activity of those nerve cells. This proposed mechanism suggests possible treatments for the condition, involving the normalization or suppression of overactive neural activity through electrical or chemical means.
(bold and underlined are my own highlights)

In summary, like with palinopsia and visual snow, one theory with tinnitus seems to suggest overactive firing/reduced inhibition. I wonder if there is a common link here, some underlying cause that might contribute to this?

Also, I am curious about the outlook, if this usually permanent once it takes hold, or if it can be seen as possibly transitory and circumstantial, like depression?

Members don't see this ad :)
Palinopsia - loss of ability to see Russia from your backyard