Palliative Care Fellowship.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bendamustine

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used palliative/hospice care fellowship as a way to another big fellowship just because you didn't match in the fellowship of your choice on first attempt?

I am interested in Hem-Onc but kinda skeptical about matching in my first attempt, so I was wondering if doing a year of palliative care is a good choice?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever used palliative/hospice care fellowship as a way to another big fellowship just because you didn't match in the fellowship of your choice on first attempt?

I am interested in Hem-Onc but kinda skeptical about matching in my first attempt, so I was wondering if doing a year of palliative care is a good choice?

It’s been done. I’m from a non-IM specialty so take it with a grain of salt, but my understanding is this used to be a popular way to build an app for hemeonc and for pulm crit to a lesser extent.

However, a large portion of every interview is spent on “why palliative,” and many of the follow up questions seemed specifically designed to ferret out this kind of activity.

They want people who want to do hospice and palliative.

And the impression I get is that this isn’t looked at as favorably as it once was from other specialties either

It's a great path to Heme Onc, and if an applicant told me "I want to do the fellowship so I can provide better care to my patients with cancer" I'd be all for it. But "because I didn't match Heme Onc" aint gonna fly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah definitely I would deifnitely try making a positive experience during fellowship interview..:)

fellows we matched for my program were candidates who were very interested in doing palliative medicine first before their primary speciality such as heme-onc and pulm crit and they were enthusiastic about how it would help them care for patients. They were also interested in heme-onc/pulm at our institution which gets your foot in the door since you will end up working closely with those teams.

at my City of Hope interview the PD straight up asked me if I would consider using their HPM fellowship as a stepping stone toward H/O fellowship