palliative medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indytravl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about hospice & palliative care fellowships? Is it necessary to practice? Which are good programs? What is the average salary? Any info would be appreciated.
thanks, [email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

indytravl said:
Does anyone know anything about hospice & palliative care fellowships? Is it necessary to practice? Which are good programs? What is the average salary?

Lots of info here.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks KentW! I've tried to search on the aahpm website & internet about average salaries for palliative med docs but come up with zilch. Do you have any numbers? And do you think it's necessary to do the fellowship to practice hospice & palliative med?
thanks, [email protected]

indytravl said:
Do you have any numbers?

No, sorry. I found that other link for you using Google. It's not really my area of expertise.

And do you think it's necessary to do the fellowship to practice hospice & palliative med?

I doubt that it's an absolute requirement, as I suspect that these are difficult positions to fill, and they're glad to get a qualified candidate, fellowship-trained or not. I know somebody who works part-time as a hospice director, and he's not board-certified in that field (he's an FP). Currently, the specialty isn't recognized by the ABMS, but they're working on that, according to their web site. That's likely another reason why board certification probably isn't a requirement (yet?)

You can also do a comprehensive Geriatrics fellowship that includes palliative care and hospice months.

:thumbup: UCSF has a great program for both clinical and research fellowships in Geriatrics.

UCSF Clinical Fellowship