Technology Palm and bad handwriting?

Started by TexasBoy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TexasBoy

You talkin' to me?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've not been able to find a palm to test out. Quick question about Graffiti:

A while back I had a Palm Zire that was technically functional, but I never did like the text input because my handwriting is just too unwieldly to efficiently conform to the letter symbols and shorthand of the text input. A classmate had a PDA that "adapted" to his handwriting, and he could pretty much scribble his own chicken scratch on the screen and the PDA would interpret his handwriting and convert it to printed text for calenders/notes/etc.

Question is: How do the latest versions of Palm text software (I think its called grafitti right?) work? Do you still have to input the letter symbols as the program dedicates? I'm trying to decide whether or not to try another palm, but if the same problem persist, then I would probably wouldn't bother.
 
Graffiti II (on all the newer Palm OS devices) allows more flexibility in terms of character entry. It's basically the old Jot program (click here to see the character set.)

You can completely customize the character set using TealScript, including making it work like the original Graffiti in the older Palm OS devices.
 
you could just get a treo and never use graffiti again, thought I'd miss graffiti when I made the switch but it turns out I'm probably faster now with the QWERTY than I was with the stylus (and I never thought that would be possible).

-J
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you could just get a treo and never use graffiti again, thought I'd miss graffiti when I made the switch but it turns out I'm probably faster now with the QWERTY than I was with the stylus (and I never thought that would be possible).
Same here.
 
I've used a couple of Treos, and I don't miss Graffiti any more, either.

If you do want to use Graffiti on your Treo, you can do so with Graffiti Anywhere.
 
Thats all I need to know. Thanks. No Palm OS for me. PPC for the win. 🙂
PPC's handwriting recognition is just as bad.

I can't get either to recognize my handwriting. So I started using the built-in touchscreen keypads. Works like a charm. I don't write that much to have a problem with it (usually just a few letters to call up a disease in PEPID or a drug in ePocrates).