-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Panicking ? deadlines...
Started by InternationalMf
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
15s Chem-Bio and 10 Eng-Psych.
I don't understand what these numbers mean. The old MCAT was a 0-15 scale on each of three subjects (Physical sciences, Biological sciences, and Verbal reasoning). The new one is a 118-132 scale on each of four subjects (Chemical and Physical foundations of Biology, Critical Analysis and Reasoning, Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems, and Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior).
What do your 15s and 10 refer to?
I don't understand what these numbers mean. The old MCAT was a 0-15 scale on each of three subjects (Physical sciences, Biological sciences, and Verbal reasoning). The new one is a 118-132 scale on each of four subjects (Chemical and Physical foundations of Biology, Critical Analysis and Reasoning, Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems, and Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior).
What do your 15s and 10 refer to?
It's basically -118 . So: Chem/phys section: 132 .Bio section:132. CR:127 . Behavioral: 127
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's basically -118 . So: Chem/phys section: 132 .Bio section:132. CR:127 . Behavioral: 127
What do you mean "basically"? Did you take the actual MCAT and your score was a 518?
Yes, but I reported them to you with the old format. Force of Habit: at my university we say them like that for some reasonWhat do you mean "basically"? Did you take the actual MCAT and your score was a 518?
Yes, but I reported them to you with the old format. Force of Habit: at my university we say them like that for some reason
The old format had 3 sections, not 2, and didn't include any kind of psych.
You got a 132/132/127/127 on the new MCAT?
Lolololol dis bitch don't get it. There's no more advice to give. You wait and see if AMCAS kicks your app back now. No point in contacting them now because they will just tell you this is how it works. If your app is kicked back you can't apply to the 10/15 schools anymore. There is literally nothing else you can do for yourself at this point. Don't believe me? Ok fine your loss (srs)
I'm outta here. Thanks for the laughs. Makes me feel a lot better about my chances if this is the level of competition we have.
Ciao loser! Good riddance
The old format had 3 sections, not 2, and didn't include any kind of psych.
You got a 132/132/127/127 on the new MCAT?
Yep! 😀
( I reported 2 scores since I got the same grade 132 and 127 twice 🙂 )
Lolololol dis bitch don't get it. There's no more advice to give. You wait and see if AMCAS kicks your app back now. No point in contacting them now because they will just tell you this is how it works. If your app is kicked back you can't apply to the 10/15 schools anymore. There is literally nothing else you can do for yourself at this point. Don't believe me? Ok fine your loss (srs)
I'm outta here. Thanks for the laughs. Makes me feel a lot better about my chances if this is the level of competition we have.
You are the living embodiment of what is wrong with sites like this. Its amazing.
You are the living embodiment of what is wrong with sites like this. Its amazing.
Do not reply to him/her/it. Seriously, do not let drag idiots drag you down to their level, you can't compete with them there
I was initially expecting to hear a mediocre or low MCAT score and telling you that it doesn't matter when you apply because you're not getting in anyway.
However, your GPA and MCAT are clearly stellar. This makes your behavior more difficult. It seems you have little familiarity with the application process and haven't even bothered to read the AMCAS instruction manual. You're basically doing everything possible to make sure you don't get in anywhere by applying at the deadline and messing up the application.
If you applied early next year, you would have a much better shot than you have right now. You can still apply next year, and you will likely need to, but by applying this year you have given yourself an unnecessary disadvantage.
I can understand the motivation of not wanting to wait for another app cycle, but you're exposing yourself as a potentially unprepared candidate who doesn't make wise decisions.
However, your GPA and MCAT are clearly stellar. This makes your behavior more difficult. It seems you have little familiarity with the application process and haven't even bothered to read the AMCAS instruction manual. You're basically doing everything possible to make sure you don't get in anywhere by applying at the deadline and messing up the application.
If you applied early next year, you would have a much better shot than you have right now. You can still apply next year, and you will likely need to, but by applying this year you have given yourself an unnecessary disadvantage.
I can understand the motivation of not wanting to wait for another app cycle, but you're exposing yourself as a potentially unprepared candidate who doesn't make wise decisions.
I see to where you're getting. I'm not the first one applying to the states from my university. I've asked around, and all the peeps there apply around september. So I didn't do any research before August and was surprised by this. It's what a well prepared candidate in my case would naturally do... Anyway, now I know better, and I am sure that I don't know much, and that all of you guys are talking about statistics. I have a disadvantage, but I have a solid application too. I will try it this year, if I get in , then PERFECT. if not, try again with other medical colleges next year 🙂 That's all. As for AMCAS, I hope they will get me away with this. If not, then bye bye 15october medical schools for sure, I will keep them for next year🙂 It was good to see the different people on this website. Some people I am excited to meet next year, and some people I am excited to kick their ass 😀 See you all <3I was initially expecting to hear a mediocre or low MCAT score and telling you that it doesn't matter when you apply because you're not getting in anyway.
However, your GPA and MCAT are clearly stellar. This makes your behavior more difficult. It seems you have little familiarity with the application process and haven't even bothered to read the AMCAS instruction manual. You're basically doing everything possible to make sure you don't get in anywhere by applying at the deadline and messing up the application.
If you applied early next year, you would have a much better shot than you have right now. You can still apply next year, and you will likely need to, but by applying this year you have given yourself an unnecessary disadvantage.
I can understand the motivation of not wanting to wait for another app cycle, but you're exposing yourself as a potentially unprepared candidate who doesn't make wise decisions.
Oh, doeth not seeth irony strike thou soul?Do not reply to him/her/it. Seriously, do not let drag idiots drag you down to their level, you can't compete with them there
I may be the dingus here but when almost everyone else has said you're making "unwise" decisions, you're hardly in a position to call people idiots.
No, I really don't get your reasoning. I've just recognized that you made up your mind long before you posted this thread and clearly have no interest in listening to the advice you were given, so therefore it's a waste of time to try to explain to you why your reasoning is faulty.You get me !
For internationals, the priority is getting into US medical schools; which one is important, but not as much as to withdraw and reapply to it in a year. Many non-internationals would think the same way too.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hm, I, for one, am not planning on visiting Lebanon any time soon, so I am confused as to how any of us will see you next year
It seems silly to write off his application as hopeless, especially if his stats are accurate.
I didn't. I'm just sharing my vacation plans with the publicIt seems silly to write off his application as hopeless, especially if his stats are accurate.
It seems silly to write off his application as hopeless, especially if his stats are accurate.
Every so often a miracle does happen, and some medical school admissions officer decides that an international applicant might be more readily forgiven for "not knowing the rules" than an American applicant, or that Daddy's embassy connections might come in handy, or that this applicant brings real diversity to the class. It could happen. You do hear stories of those miraculous acceptances -- but mainly because they are so rare.
But do realize this OP - If you are not an American citizen or have a green card, there are many, many medical schools that won't even look at your application. You don't want to be a re-applicant, so your pool of potential schools needs to be managed carefully. Don't waste your best chances on a long shot, which an application this late in the season truly is. And if you cannot pay for medical school with family money or a grant from your own government, know that financial aid opportunities for foreign students are very limited. You've lined up your own financing, right?
In 2014, there were 1160 applicants from outside the US with 130 matriculating, for about 11% rate. Compared to overall US rate of about 41% applicants to matriculants
I bet most of those 130 applicants were smart in doing their research and applying early...
Last edited:
This is a reminder for Everyone in this thread to keep it professional and follow the terms of service when posting.
ok, in America, its learned not learnt. Anyways, I would encourage you to reapply because applying early is critical for international students. There are loads of intelligent accomplished international students that apply early. Even American citizens that apply late are at a huge disadvantage. But if you must, apply to few schools (2-5) you think you have a good shot at.Not at all. It could be as simple as thinking that it's not rolling admissions 🙂 I'm not getting into the details of this story.
Anyway, If it works, then perfect!
If it didn't, I learnt a lot, and that's fine and I'll plan for next year accordingly.
Thanks peeps for taking your time to help or post a comment or anything!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 973
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 2K