panoptic ophthalmoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skarim

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
just wondering what were people's thoughts regarding the panoptic ophthalmoscope. Students and residents can get one for $200 with trade in of your old welch allyn ophthalmoscope head until the end of the month.

-sk

Members don't see this ad.

Skarim,

For what it's worth, I liked the Pan-Optic so much I purchased 2 of them. They are great for getting a quick view of the optic nerve. It's not a five times wider field of view like they claim but definately larger then a direct. It is difficult to view the macula with the Pan-Optic. A direct is much better for that as well as for retroilluminated viewing. But both of these are pitiful compared to the excellent steroscopic view with a non-contact fundus lens (78/79D).

So, I guess it depends on what your using it for. I bought 2 and gave them to a couple of GP's that refer to me. They say they get a better view. I imagine they do. ;)

By far the greatest advantage of the Pan-Optic is the working distance. Some people you just don't want to get that close to:laugh: