panoptic ophthalmoscope

Started by skarim
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

skarim

Junior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi everyone,
just wondering what were people's thoughts regarding the panoptic ophthalmoscope. Students and residents can get one for $200 with trade in of your old welch allyn ophthalmoscope head until the end of the month.

-sk
 
Skarim,

For what it's worth, I liked the Pan-Optic so much I purchased 2 of them. They are great for getting a quick view of the optic nerve. It's not a five times wider field of view like they claim but definately larger then a direct. It is difficult to view the macula with the Pan-Optic. A direct is much better for that as well as for retroilluminated viewing. But both of these are pitiful compared to the excellent steroscopic view with a non-contact fundus lens (78/79D).

So, I guess it depends on what your using it for. I bought 2 and gave them to a couple of GP's that refer to me. They say they get a better view. I imagine they do. 😉

By far the greatest advantage of the Pan-Optic is the working distance. Some people you just don't want to get that close to:laugh: