1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Paperwork

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by SanDiegoSOD, Apr 9, 2007.

1. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

Just out of curiosity... how much of your time in the ED is spent on paperwork? Panda usually mentions a 1:3 real work: paperwork ratio, and for the EPs in the hospital that I spent a good deal of time in, it was probably around 1:2. So how many pens do you go through a week?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I plan to hire someone to follow me around and write down whatever needs to be written down. In fact in retrospect, maybe my no documentation necessary policy was what got me in trouble doing bench research . . .

4. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I worked as an ED tech for 2 yrs and it seemed to me that about 70-80% of the EPs time is spent on their butt at the nurses station, either typing reports of haggling with other Dr.s over the phone. It's not a very high patient contact specialty.

5. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

In the community, it's a LOT different. About 5 minutes per chart. About 5 minutes to fill out commitment papers. About 2 minutes for a COBRA transfer form.

A lot, if not most, of the BS-but-required paperwork doesn't even pass by my desk. Med and lab orders are either entered by me, or I co-sign the med orders.

6. Wackie

Wackie Inappropriate, always
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Scribes are valuable. :D We do all your writing and fetch breakfast/lunch/dinner (if you're buying). :D

7. corpsmanUP

corpsmanUP Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Maybe we are just spoiled, but our EMR saves us a ton of time. We dictate everything if we wish and do online orders. The only thing we write is medication orders. U-Iowa paid like 75 million for this system and it even allows us to do everything at home except for dictating.

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yea, I only spend a total of an hour's time with all my patients I see during a twelve hour shift. The rest of the time is spent surfing the internet, SDN, charting, and just chatting with the nurses.

Give me a break. EM is a high patient contact specialty. Most EM docs see a lot of patients during their shift.

9. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yep - Average is 2-2.5 patients per hour. Do the math. That's a ton of patient contact...

10. KittyKate

KittyKate Problem Child

Medical Student
    Our docs that use scribes see 30 to 40 patients per 9 to 10 hour shift. Basically the only paperwork they do is writing scripts or signing their names on the charts. :thumbup: