SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Paperwork

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by SanDiegoSOD, Apr 9, 2007.

1. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice 7+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Sunny California
    Just out of curiosity... how much of your time in the ED is spent on paperwork? Panda usually mentions a 1:3 real work: paperwork ratio, and for the EPs in the hospital that I spent a good deal of time in, it was probably around 1:2. So how many pens do you go through a week?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Dakota

Dakota Senior Member Physician 10+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2005
    I plan to hire someone to follow me around and write down whatever needs to be written down. In fact in retrospect, maybe my no documentation necessary policy was what got me in trouble doing bench research . . .

4. GreenShirt

GreenShirt 10+ Year Member

Feb 6, 2007
    I worked as an ED tech for 2 yrs and it seemed to me that about 70-80% of the EPs time is spent on their butt at the nurses station, either typing reports of haggling with other Dr.s over the phone. It's not a very high patient contact specialty.

5. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    In the community, it's a LOT different. About 5 minutes per chart. About 5 minutes to fill out commitment papers. About 2 minutes for a COBRA transfer form.

A lot, if not most, of the BS-but-required paperwork doesn't even pass by my desk. Med and lab orders are either entered by me, or I co-sign the med orders.

6. Wackie

Wackie Inappropriate, always 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Home with the Armadillo
    Scribes are valuable. :D We do all your writing and fetch breakfast/lunch/dinner (if you're buying). :D

7. corpsmanUP

corpsmanUP Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Maybe we are just spoiled, but our EMR saves us a ton of time. We dictate everything if we wish and do online orders. The only thing we write is medication orders. U-Iowa paid like 75 million for this system and it even allows us to do everything at home except for dictating.

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Atlanta
    Yea, I only spend a total of an hour's time with all my patients I see during a twelve hour shift. The rest of the time is spent surfing the internet, SDN, charting, and just chatting with the nurses.

Give me a break. EM is a high patient contact specialty. Most EM docs see a lot of patients during their shift.

9. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Where it's at.
    Yep - Average is 2-2.5 patients per hour. Do the math. That's a ton of patient contact...

10. KittyKate

KittyKate Problem Child

Apr 10, 2007
    MiddleOfNowhere, Texas
    Our docs that use scribes see 30 to 40 patients per 9 to 10 hour shift. Basically the only paperwork they do is writing scripts or signing their names on the charts. :thumbup: