Paralyzed while in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llamapower

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
My friend and fellow HPSPer was recently in an accident and it appears he will be paralyzed from the chest down. Hopefully things turn out better but regardless it’s not looking like he will be able to serve in the military.

We are halfway done with school, so I’m wondering if anyone knows what will happen with regards to scholarship. Will he be expected to pay all the money back from the scholarship?

Just trying to figure out what to expect. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I believe the answer is yes with regards to paying back scholarship money, especially for accidents not related to military or active duty time.

Does anything change if it was during his 6 week adt?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I believe the answer is yes with regards to paying back scholarship money, especially for accidents not related to military or active duty time.
This is not true! Communicate the medical status to your HPSP contacts. Update your physical status. They will ask for medical records and might conduct a line of duty investigation at most. If you weren't drunk or committing a bank robbery you shouldn't have to pay it back. Your tuition and stipend payments may stop for next semester however. Communicate with HPSP leadership.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,
My friend and fellow HPSPer was recently in an accident and it appears he will be paralyzed from the chest down. Hopefully things turn out better but regardless it’s not looking like he will be able to serve in the military.

We are halfway done with school, so I’m wondering if anyone knows what will happen with regards to scholarship. Will he be expected to pay all the money back from the scholarship?

Just trying to figure out what to expect. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Llamapower - Was your friends accident while on an ADT at a military installation or at their school? If at school for the ADT was the accident within the travel radius allowed while on a school ADT? Being on an ADT and the injury/disability not due to misconduct, intentional or willful negligence makes a big difference for benefits. Keep us posted... Hope your friend recovers.

Llamapower - Was your friends accident while on an ADT at a military installation or at their school? If at school for the ADT was the accident within the travel radius allowed while on a school ADT? Being on an ADT and the injury/disability not due to misconduct, intentional or willful negligence makes a big difference for benefits. Keep us posted... Hope your friend recovers.
It appears it occurred on an ADT at school, and yes it was within 300 miles of the school.

I can't confirm he was on an ADT, but we had talked about it days prior so I believe he was.

It appears it occurred on an ADT at school, and yes it was within 300 miles of the school.

I can't confirm he was on an ADT, but we had talked about it days prior so I believe he was.
Have your 'friend' or family member make contact with their HPSP administration. They need to know the status - especially if on an ADT when injured/disabled. Join the Military HPSP Students & Physicians facebook page for some contact information. The contact will be dependent on branch of service - Navy, Army, or AF.