Paramedic To MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ROSC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my story

2- 1/2 years EMT
8-1/2 Years Paramedic
B.S Allied Health (worked full time nights while attending classes)
cGpa 3.57
sGpa 3.31
Currently Prepping for MCAT

PHTLS- Instructor
Critical Care Transport
PALS
ACLS
PRN Search and Rescue flight medic

Many more Certs and scope of practice compliments to list but don't want to bore anyone.

The last 30 hours of my Bachelors were taken online but none of my prereqs were

Will be applying to a mid tier instate school

What are my chances and what would be a realistic new MCAT that I would need to become accepted

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
sGPA is below well avg, but if you live in a lucky state, you should be OK.

I trust you'll be applying elsewhere? it would be foolish to apply to only one school. MCAT will make or break you.

Will be applying to a mid tier instate school

Score in the percentiles equivalent to what a > 30 on the old test would be. But no score is a guarantee of acceptance, just a good likelihood of getting an interview. then it's on you.

What are my chances and what would be a realistic new MCAT that I would need to become accepted

Also, make sure your prereq's satisfy the med school admissions requirements. If your degree is in allied health, it's possible you took a "chemistry for non-majors" type of class which isn't what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to SDN! I can second what the other posters have stated. If you're considering DO programs, your stats look good for them too. (Goro is your expert there) Definitely want to make sure that your existing science courses will be accepted.

There are a few of us medic to MD/DO students on here. Right now, my class has 4 medics, 2 basics, an RN, and a handful of pharmacy techs.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Smaller states with large state medical schools that give significant preference to state residents.

Arkansas, Kansas, Nebraska, Mississippi, Louisiana, and West Virginia to name a few.

Usually have lower GPA/MCAT averages (3.6/30 or less)

I'm a paramedic who is starting med school in July. You have been given good advice; PM me if I can be any help.

If you can't get into MD or DO...you would probably be highly competitive for PA as a fall back plan. PA is a very underrated job.

I'm also a paramedic and will be applying to DO/MD this year. Let me know if you need any advice or help.