Parents are pressuring me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebattilana100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT score back and my mom is trying to rush me through the whole application process and i know its mainly my fault that i haven't started the whole AAMCs process.. but how long does it take to get all the things together.. i would rather do it right and not rush to get my application through..

Also, Im hispanic and I stutter, which is considered to handicap, how would it affect my application process seeing that i have to interview and should i mention it on the application because i dont want to them to think im nervous when i get interviewed..

Members don't see this ad.

You're chances of getting in this cycle if you haven't even started your primary are slim to none for DO, and non-existent for MD (not sure which you're looking to do since you posted in the DO thread but are talking about the AAMC app instead of the AACOMAS). You'll almost certainly have to wait until next cycle, and apply early. It's convenient that your MCATs are done, so you don't have to worry about those next summer. Work on your gpa and EC's until then, and best of luck.

what are your numbers? what is your gpa and mcat and a quick rundown of ECs. It is going to take about 6 weeks for everything if you haven't started (best case) depending on your LOR situation. It likely isn't worth it, but knowing your numbers will give us a better idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you got good numbers, you're chances are good to get in. how do I know? my own experience.

One of my interviewrs at AZCOM (a DO) stuttered.

I would definitely let the schools know that you stutter.

I also have a diagnosed stuttering problem. I did therapy all through elementary, middle and beginning of high school. Although it helped with normal situations, I still stuttered during high tension situations (such as interviews or talking to girls I liked). The best advice I can give if/when you get an interview is to tell the interviewers casually (after shaking their hands, sitting down and thanking them for giving you the opportunity for giving you an interview) that you have a little stuttering problem and that if they don't understand one of your answers not to hesitate to ask you to repeat the answer, it makes the situation a whole lot less stressful because its all out in the open and the interviewers will not be shocked or taken aback if you do stutter, and they can focus on your answers rather than the stutter. That's what my therapist told me and it has worked.I hope it may help you at least a little

don't mean to interrupt, but i have a similar question. my cgpa is 3.45 my sgpa is going to be around 3.7-3.8 (post bac gpa 4.0) depending on what aacomas is going to let me replace. my mcat is a 28 ps:9 Vr:11 Bs:8. I have shadowing, work experience, shadowing volunteering etc. Is it too late for me to apply this cycle

don't mean to interrupt, but i have a similar question. my cgpa is 3.45 my sgpa is going to be around 3.7-3.8 (post bac gpa 4.0) depending on what aacomas is going to let me replace. my mcat is a 28 ps:9 Vr:11 Bs:8. I have shadowing, work experience, shadowing volunteering etc. Is it too late for me to apply this cycle

No it's not. You might snag a couple interviews... but you need to apply ASAP. Prewrite your secondaries so they are ready to submit the same day that you get them. And get your LORs ready as well.

I just got my MCAT score back and my mom is trying to rush me through the whole application process and i know its mainly my fault that i haven't started the whole AAMCs process.. but how long does it take to get all the things together.. i would rather do it right and not rush to get my application through..

Also, Im hispanic and I stutter, which is considered to handicap, how would it affect my application process seeing that i have to interview and should i mention it on the application because i dont want to them to think im nervous when i get interviewed..

Step 1 - Cut the umbilical cord

Step 2 - Ask yourself if you really want to go to medical school, or if your parents want you to go to medical school. I only say this because you scream the "my parents want me to be a doctor" student based off of my bolded part. If your mom is that involved with the process, and is overseeing your decisions......yaaaa

With regards to your stutter, im sure if you explained it during an interview it would not be a problem

Step 2 - Ask yourself if you really want to go to medical school, or if your parents want you to go to medical school. I only say this because you scream the "my parents want me to be a doctor" student based off of my bolded part. If your mom is that involved with the process, and is overseeing your decisions......yaaaa

With regards to your stutter, im sure if you explained it during an interview it would not be a problem

In his defense (and I say this only partly from experience), sometimes it's easier said than done to "cut the umbilical cord". I'm sure he wants to, but he can't help if his mom is being overbearing. That's not his fault... sometimes parents just don't listen and don't know when to butt out. I say that with the assumption that you DON'T want your mom as overbearing and involved... but if you still need her to make you warm honey tea when you're not feeling well, then it IS your problem. :rolleyes:

Speaking of warm honey tea, that sounds really good right now.... MOMM!!! :laugh: Just kidding. ;)

Yes, it is too late to apply. Think about it. It'll take 4 to 6 weeks for aacomas to process the application. Then you have to do secondaries. Do not apply until it is right.

In his defense (and I say this only partly from experience), sometimes it's easier said than done to "cut the umbilical cord". I'm sure he wants to, but he can't help if his mom is being overbearing. That's not his fault... sometimes parents just don't listen and don't know when to butt out.

true that.

OP, first of all - what are ur stats??
generally, by this time of the cycle, it's gonna take weeks just for the primaries to be verified..u cud still get interviews, which actually run till april for many uni's...but wht i've heard is usually classes are full by end of december... yet again, i've heard a few (not sure which ones and how many, so u'll have to research on this) of the schools can actually accept u for the NEXT year's class (so for this application cycle for instance - it wud be class of 2013) if they think u r a good match but their current year's class is already fulll... soo that's something to think about, i guess...??

as for this particular cycle, to be honest, unless u have really stellar stats and ECs, just try and explain the whole rolling process to ur mom... explaining it to her, and applying fresh next year, is honestly far better than wasting ur money this cycle... again, that's depending on ur stats... it's hard to think of letting an application cycle go past and waiting another year - but it's worth it, trust me! :)

Hey everyone sorry to hijack this thread but at the moment I'm currently working on my AACOMAS primary application. My stats are 3.59 cum 3.54 bcpm with a 27M MCAT. Should I still apply? I'm hoping to finish my personal statement within a week or so...

STRONGLY agree with this poster. The original post smells very strongly of a parent who wants you to be a doctor, but that it's NOT what you want.

You're an adult now, and you're to have to take a stand.

STRONGLY agree with this poster. The original post smells very strongly of a parent who wants you to be a doctor, but that it's NOT what you want.

:thumbup:

You guys are reading too much into it. All he said is his mom is pushing him to apply. That doesn't mean he isn't the one wanting to be a doctor. Maybe his mom just wants him out of the house ASAP.

You guys are reading too much into it. All he said is his mom is pushing him to apply. That doesn't mean he isn't the one wanting to be a doctor. Maybe his mom just wants him out of the house ASAP.

:laugh: this is true