Parents Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Discovery01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
posted in wrong forum before... now in right forum

do you all have dentists as parents or relatives? Is it true that a big chunk of people in dental schools have parents or relatives as dentists and will join such established practices after graduation (or after residency)?

Members don't see this ad.

do you all have dentists as parents or relatives? Is it true that a big chunk of people in dental schools have parents or relatives as dentists and will join such established practices after graduation (or after residency)?

i cant speak for anyone else but i'll be the only dentist in my family.

I dont know if most have relatives/parents that are dentists..but i'm sure there are quite a few. I think they just have a better sense of the profession b/c they've been around it for so long...i'll be the only dentist as well...my uncle is a surgeon..and my father/grandfather are veterinarians....so i'll be rounding out the big 3

Members don't see this ad :)
No one in my family or extended family are even in the science field.

I'm a 4th generation dentist. I guess my kid is doomed...

Dad was a Chicago police officer and Mom was a secretary. I have 3 sons. If they want to be dentists I'll do what I can for them. If they want to be police officers I'll worry about them. If they want to be secretaries I'll really worry about them.:D

Disclaimer, Mom was a secretary, the above post in no way is meant to degrade or demean secretaries I just don't want my boys being secretaries:laugh:

both of my parents are dentists - how's THAT for pressure!

auntie is an oral surgeon back in my country....and there will be me...that's about it

In my dental school class I think around 10 of 79 had parent who was a dentist.

both of my parents are dentists - how's THAT for pressure!

Thats awesome. Hopefully no student loan debt for you and probably 2 good mentors. But I agree with you that is some pressure. Use it to your advantage and learn all you can from mom and dad. There is no substitute for having a mentor who loves you and wants you to be successful.

I believe that you are definetly on the fast track.:thumbup:

Didn't you know there is an entire behind the scenes underground society like in that movie "the skulls" where your dentist parents funnel kids right into dental school from their 12th birthday. The only difference is that its not the skulls, its "the molars"......

BTW, i have 1 parent, and 2 uncles who are dentists......

My dad is a dentist and my mom is a dental hygienist:)

And they were married before they started working together...

my mom AND dad have had a lot of dental work and both of them have TONS of dental needs! I guess you can say I have been "guided" into the profession.... gee, I can't wait

A little bit more than half of my class are dentists' kids (out of 52), although there are another few who's parents are physicians. As for myself, I have not a single DOC in my family tree. As far as I know, I will be the first. Funny enough, it seems like every cousin of mine is a nurse. No Fockers though. I could have been the first too there. :laugh:

I'll be the first dentist in my family :)
I'd say in my class of 80...at least a good 20-30 have at least one parent who is a dentist.