Parents on the Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qnzbabi91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was just wondering how everyone feels about this? I have an interview coming up and I would like my dad to come with me. He is driving up there, a 2 hour ride from where I live, and I feel bad telling him to wait in the car for me when I am in there from 9 until 3. How does everyone feel about parents on the interview? I don't want to give the impression that I am immature.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ive never been a fan of bringing a parent to an interview. Let them go spend their time at a Starbucks/ Barnes and Nobles for a few hours.

Let him come with you but don't actually let him come WITH you to the interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I was just wondering how everyone feels about this? I have an interview coming up at UConn and I would like my dad to come with me. He is driving up there, a 2 hour ride from where I live, and I feel bad telling him to wait in the car for me when I am in there from 9 until 3. How does everyone feel about parents on the interview? I don't want to give the impression that I am immature.

If UCONN did not invite additional guests in their invitation, he probably shouldn't come. The reason I say that is because the interview day is carefully planned out and they may not be anticipating an additional guest. I'm sure he can find other things to do all day around campus or in Farmington(?).

Now if they did invite additional guests, I think it's fine for you to bring him along. I think most faculty members would understand, but be prepared for some strange looks from the other applicants and maybe some dental students. Many of them won't think of your reasoning for bringing him, which is actually very sound.

I've been to interviews where applicants brought their parents, some even brought their spouse. The adcom were really nice about it. Even the director of committee personally came out and greeted the parents. But that was only if it was included in your invitation that you are allowed to bring guests. So I don't know. It does appear weird for me, but if that's your mental support and the school allows it, then by all means.

A dean of dental school and my pre-dental adviser specifically told us not to do this. At least all of my interview invitations didn't mention bringing additional guests. I think one of them actually told us not to bring additional guests, like our parents. If he's there to give you a ride and drop you off, that's fine. Just don't have him tag along with you into the interview area. It can only leave bad impression of you than good to adcoms.

So, I was just wondering how everyone feels about this? I have an interview coming up at UConn and I would like my dad to come with me. He is driving up there, a 2 hour ride from where I live, and I feel bad telling him to wait in the car for me when I am in there from 9 until 3. How does everyone feel about parents on the interview? I don't want to give the impression that I am immature.

Time to cut the umbilical cord... they are interviewing you, not your dad.

I think you would need a much more legitimate reason than "feeling bad" to bring him along.

I had a similar situation, my father took time off work so he could drive me 6 hours due to the lack of reasonably priced flights. He was completely content spending 4 hours at Starbucks. I think most parents would realize that it may reflect negatively to tag along on the interview, so it isn't worth the risk. Just do something nice after the interview like by him dinner. I'm sure he is like most fathers and just happy to help!

Thanks for all the responses! I really appraciate it. I guess he won't be tagging along with me.

I interviewed last month.....and,well,I had my mother accompany me ........ she was in the waiting area during the entireinterview period.Even though the interview lasted for like arund 6 hours.Your dad could probably do the same....That seems like the best option if you still want him to accompany you.:)

My dads coming with me but he is definitley not coming to the ds with me for the interview. Were interviewing for professional school? its weird to bring mommy and daddy imo.

i wouldnt bring them to the interview..just looks immature...why are they coming with anyway? i can maybe understand for a long drive to rotate drivers or something but 2 hours shouldnt be bad

Time to cut the umbilical cord... they are interviewing you, not your dad. I think you would need a much more legitimate reason than "feeling bad" to bring him along.

When you do that, make sure mom/dad understand that they will not be required to make any financial contribution to your education.

I wouldn't recommend it. This is your investment of time and money (ostensibly).

Time to cut the umbilical cord... they are interviewing you, not your dad.

This really made me laugh! Lol... OP with your stats you are guaranteed admission anywhere you are invited to interview!

When you do that, make sure mom/dad understand that they will not be required to make any financial contribution to your education.

They never have... I was not fortunate, like many, to come from a wealthy family. I have worked full time while in school and 80 hour weeks in the summers to pay for my education and living expenses.

Maybe i sounded harsh, but i feel at the age of 21-24ish you should have developed enough independence to take care of yourself. I can understand bringing your parents while visiting undergrad colleges, but you have had your time to mature now. Would you bring your mom/dad to a job interview? How bout a club election night? Where is the line drawn?

Last edited:
I don't know about coming into the interview obviously that's not going to happen. I can't imagine any school allowing it.

some schools don't have issues with guest who come for the tour part, so check with them if they really want to go.

If you're interviewing like for NYU and your parents have never been to NYC I don't see why not bring your parents along. You can spend 1 day after your interview to check out places with your parents. Sorta like a mini trip.

But that is me. I'm an older applicant and obviously my mom is older so she's not going to be able to go to NYC or Chicago on her own and explore so its an opportunity to see places should I get an interview.

I think he could take you there, but it would not me a good idea IMHO to have him with you during the interview.

As an aside - you already heard back from schools??? Are you already interviewing at Stony Brook?