Parkinson’s disease and autonomic instability

Started by PainDrain
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PainDrain

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Recently I had two case (both happened to be long ortho cases) where the patients had severe Parkinson’s dz and they were extremely labile during the case. I figured it was autonomic dysfunction related to their Parkinson’s; anyone have any experience with this?
 
Recently I had two case (both happened to be long ortho cases) where the patients had severe Parkinson’s dz and they were extremely labile during the case. I figured it was autonomic dysfunction related to their Parkinson’s; anyone have any experience with this?

Yes. Very common with Parkinsons.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I definitely knew it was possible and had read about it but I just never experienced it myself in practice. Interestingly and anecdotally, one case was a TIVA and the other used volatile; looking at the records the TIVA was definitely more stable than volatile.
 
Lots of Parkinson's patients suffer from Shy-Drager syndrome. Ever notice that patients with moderate to severe Parkinson's disease are rarely on antihypertensives. Even if they needed them earlier in life.
 
Lots of Parkinson's patients suffer from Shy-Drager syndrome. Ever notice that patients with moderate to severe Parkinson's disease are rarely on antihypertensives. Even if they needed them earlier in life.

Don't confuse Parkinsons with Shy Drager / Multiple System Atrophy. Not the same. Not interchangeable terms. You either have one or the other.