Parkland Externship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eugene Oplasty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can share their externship experience at parkland? I've been told that there will be about 5 externs at one time. The majority of the time, externs are working in the outpatient clinic. So this kind of limits the extern's OR experience because you would have to alternate with other externs. Is this true? Also, do the residents hang out on the weekends at parkland?

What other programs besides LSU-NO and parkland, offers great hands-on experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if someone can share their externship experience at parkland? I've been told that there will be about 5 externs at one time. The majority of the time, externs are working in the outpatient clinic. So this kind of limits the extern's OR experience because you would have to alternate with other externs. Is this true? Also, do the residents hang out on the weekends at parkland?

What other programs besides LSU-NO and parkland, offers great hands-on experience?

EugeneOplasty,
You will prob get a lot of replies on this because everyone and their dog tries to extern at Parkland. First of all, a lot depends on what time of year you go. When I went, I was the only extern but it was the very end of summer. Secondly, some of the residents do hang out so you just want to ask around.

You should be aware that your experience on any externship is mainly up to you. If you don't want to be in the outpatient clinic, make sure you get out to JPS or the VA which are very strong components of the program and the attendings are phenomenal. Along with that, be aware that some of the most valuable experience you can get is in the outpatient clinic. I gained great experience with extractions, tori removal, and impacted 3rds in that clinic and having those basic skills is what makes you a competent OMS residency applicant. In other words, hopefully you'll get plenty of OR experience between Parkland and JPS, but if not, make your clinic time worthwhile and go on call a lot so you can sew up some lacs in the ED.

My understanding is that many externships give you some good hands-on experience. Try going to places that are slammed w/ trauma and you'll get your wish. Examples:LSU-Shreveport, UTennessee-Knoxville, and UF-Jacksonville. Above all else, extern where you want to train. Good luck!

The Parkland externship is popular because it is a good one. I wish that I had externed here.

Your first day you show up and kind of figure out how everything runs, a process which for some can take a few days. I've noticed that a number of the externs never really figure it out or they are afraid of going to the Parkland OR, the VA, JPS or the private hospitals so they just work in the outpatient clinic for the remainder of their time here (which is fine if thats what you're interested in - this isn't a dental school clinic - you will learn something). I've also noticed that a number of the externs just decide to take call a couple of times or decline the opportunity to take call on a non-face call night (just because we are not on face does not mean that it isn't a busy call or a learning opportunity). At any rate if you talk to two different externs you will get two completely different views of the experience. The strong ones will say that they learned a lot about OMFS (patient rounding, workups, trauma, clinic procedures, presentations, whatever) and got to do a lot of whatever they were interested in - the weak ones will say that they didn't get to do much. I imagine this is true at most programs but it becomes more readily apparent when there are several externs together.

The residents will probably hang out with you if you are cool.

Good Luck.