part time job while in school (3yr pharmd school)

Started by 2018PharmD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2018PharmD

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be attending a 3 yr accelerated pharm school in couple months.
I wanted to work 8 hours per week as a PRN at the hospital.
However, they don't offer any PRN position but they do offer a part time position.
Saturday and Sunday evening shift + rotating Friday evening shift (I'm guessing every other weekend).

1st week: 16 hrs
2nd week: 24 hrs

This is a non-pharmacy field however, as soon as I can land a pharmacy tech position I'm planning to leave.

About my school schedule:
A block system
Exam on every other Friday (leave early every Friday)
Class hours: I believe 8-5 every day

I know if I work carefully with my schedule its possible to fit all the schedule
My question is if anyone did this before?
If you did was do you regret it? did it affect your school work?
 
This largely depends on your own ability, so only you will know whether you can handle it or not. Some people can get A's in all their classes, work full-time, join tons of organizations, pick up a PhD on the way, all the while biking naked along Tour de France route every summer. On the other hand, others struggle just trying to pass. I've seen both cases, and yes, for 3-year programs as well... It really boils down to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be attending a 3 yr accelerated pharm school in couple months.
I wanted to work 8 hours per week as a PRN at the hospital.
However, they don't offer any PRN position but they do offer a part time position.
Saturday and Sunday evening shift + rotating Friday evening shift (I'm guessing every other weekend).

1st week: 16 hrs
2nd week: 24 hrs

This is a non-pharmacy field however, as soon as I can land a pharmacy tech position I'm planning to leave.

About my school schedule:
A block system
Exam on every other Friday (leave early every Friday)
Class hours: I believe 8-5 every day

I know if I work carefully with my schedule its possible to fit all the schedule
My question is if anyone did this before?
If you did was do you regret it? did it affect your school work?
South?
 
I'm starting at a three yeAr school as well. I plan on checking out the workload etc. the first quarter and then decide how much work I can manage eAch quarter thereafter.
 
I'm just finishing up my 2nd year and I have classes all morning til noon. I was able to manage a retail job(10 hours a week) as well as a hospital job(20 hrs over the weekend) and managed to get As and Bs... It's all about time management and no bull****ting around. I still have time to chill at night as long as I get my priorities completed first.