Part-time (neuro?) post-docs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livingtemple

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Currently on internship at an AMC on 6-month pediatric neuropsychology rotation. Looking at neuro postdocs through AAPCN as well as considering other routes to postdoc. Have 2 kids, 1 of which is 3 months old, and am quite exhausted. Considering taking a bit of a break and wondering if anyone knows whether part-time postdocs exist and how I might seek them out? If even for 1 year. Would like to pursue the 2-year neuro postdoc path, but I don't feel that board certification is something I absolutely need to do. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't think of any institutional part-time neuro postdocs available. Those are probably mostly in the PP sector where you are usually serving as a glorified psychometrist. What is your ideal job in the future? Not being board eligible will lock you out of many hospital based jobs, and most VA positions in the neuro world. Additionally, not having a HCG postdoc will likely preclude you from any decent paying forensic work as you will be torn apart on cross during the credential question piece.

Reactions: 1 user
You are in a tough position, as I don’t see a feasible compromise to find something that fits your current setup.

Post-doc neuro training requires a full-time commitment. Solid didactics and good supervision are paramount. A neuropsych post-doc/fellowship is just not setup to be part-time. Houston Conference Guidelines required two years of post-doc/fellowship. Spreading that over 3-4 years isn’t something i’ve seen anywhere.

I would also be really concerned with getting partway through a part-time setup and then something happening, necessitating the need to find a new position. The PP decides to go a different direction, they get tired of supervising someone for 3+ years, etc.

Depending on the state, the hours (particularly for supervision) could also be in jeopardy. You’d likely be put in a position of having to prove your training just to qualify for licensure, let alone when you try and find a job. Then if/when you go for boarding, it’ll be an uphill battle again.

There are probably some private practice (PP) settings where the didactics and supervision are sufficient, but the vast majority of PP post-doc positions end up being glorified psychometrists with a focus on cranking out reports, not actual learning and mentorship. I would not recommend that route bc there is already a ton still to learn once you are out and licensed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can say to one of those posters: Neuropsychologists who went to programs that have since had at least one part timer should not throw stones.....

Per "letter of the law," Houston Conference allows half-time postdocs, so long as it's the equivalent of two full-time years. I also don't think APPCN disallows it. As you've seen, though, the tough part is finding a half-time postdoc.

I don't know of any, unfortunately. I agree that private practices may be your best bet. You could try reaching out to APPCN and non-APPCN private practice fellowships to see if they offer an option for a half-time fellow. I don't know that any of them would do so if you aren't planning on completing the equivalent of a two-year full-time postdoc, but could be worth asking.

OP, having been in a similar position when I was on internship for different reasons, I feel for you. IME, it was much harder to find flexible positions in formal post-docs than PP or jobs. Have you considered taking time off and coming back full-time for post-doc later or getting licensed, working part-time and applying later? This may be more feasible.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your replies, all -- very much appreciated.

@WisNeuro : all but one of the neuropsychology faculty at my (APA accredited, HCG-following, AMC) site are actually not ABPP-ed in neuro, so my impression was that it was sort of a "cherry on top" thing. Helpful, offers expert status, likely will earn you more money in the future, but not necessary to function as a neuropsychologist in a hospital setting. But, I'm ready to be corrected. As for my ideal job -- I think if I could craft it, I'd love something like a 60/40 or 70/30 clinical/research split, and do some part-time teaching/administration as well. I love the notion of incorporating more therapeutic assessment-style principles (ala Stephen Finn) into the work, as well.

@Sanman : Thanks for the empathy. I'm tired down to my bone marrow. Yes, I've wondered if time off is really the route I need to go. I could work on licensure in the meantime, certainly. I hate to push out a whole year (I already pushed out a year during my program with 1st kid) ... but a baby's only a baby once, and jobs can wait. It does feel sort of bitter to be working, gaining hours toward licensure, and pursing licensure when I could be working at a postdoc and putting those hours toward licensure ... but alas.

@AcronymAllergy, thanks. Would definitely be my intention to complete the equivalent of a 2-year PD. I'd just love to be able to work at a slower pace for my own mental health and for my family. Even for a year. I think I will call and ask around, though won't get my hopes up.

Any other ideas, information, or insight welcome. Thanks again all.

Thanks for your replies, all -- very much appreciated.

@WisNeuro : all but one of the neuropsychology faculty at my (APA accredited, HCG-following, AMC) site are actually not ABPP-ed in neuro, so my impression was that it was sort of a "cherry on top" thing. Helpful, offers expert status, likely will earn you more money in the future, but not necessary to function as a neuropsychologist in a hospital setting. But, I'm ready to be corrected. As for my ideal job -- I think if I could craft it, I'd love something like a 60/40 or 70/30 clinical/research split, and do some part-time teaching/administration as well. I love the notion of incorporating more therapeutic assessment-style principles (ala Stephen Finn) into the work, as well.
This is likely the exception, and not the rule these days. I'd suggest looking out for job postings for places you'd conceivably want to work and see what they require. Last time I job hunted 90% of the jobs I saw posted, required board eligibility. The other 10% were at practices in the metro area that pay terribly and have trouble recruiting clinicians. Your call in the end, but I'd definitely recommend keeping as many career avenues open as you can, as it is very difficult to get them open again later in your career once you've shut them off.

@livingtemple

1) I do believe that a standard full time post doc is highly preferable.

2) I would encourage you to consider PP, even in a hospital setting. Some private hospitals will rent office space to psychologists, and out them on staff. No salary, but you’re on staff. That might meet part of your career needs, if you can tolerate the reduced status.

3) The one factor Gorske doesn’t adequately address in the therapeutic neuro assessment, is the malingering or straight up psych patients. They won’t be happy or curious. And the techniques can constitute coaching.

I don't know of any neuro postdocs, especially at an AMC, that are available part-time, though I was offered some flexibility with extending past two years and cutting back a tad at my site (I didn't end up doing that and I don't think that's the norm). I also don't have any particularly useful suggestions about board certification or whether you should meet HCG. That's a personal decision I suppose, though I agree with previous posters that it's becoming more necessary.

However, I am in my second year of a neuro fellowship at a busy and competitive AMC, and I have two kids as well, one of whom is 4 months old. I will say that (although I'm also perpetually tired), with the right scheduling it IS possible to balance the motherhood (or fatherhood) gig with postdoc, and I don't feel like I'm missing my baby growing up. In my experience at least, postdoc has been more flexible than internship in terms of patient schedules, writing reports from home, etc. (though I realize this will not be the case at all sites). So, it's certainly not impossible. Happy to chat more if you decide to go that route.