1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Part time Pharmacy School does it exist?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by bkgovols, Jul 19, 2006.

1. bkgovols

bkgovols Junior Member

Non-Student
    I am currently working full time as an assistant manager in a retail pharmacy, and I want to go back to school to get my pre-pharmacy requirments (I already have a BA but nothing pharmacy related) and then go to pharmacy school if I can. I have looked into the Creighton web based program but they tell me its not feasable or even allowed to work full time while in their program. Are there any options out there that would allow me to work full time and still get my pharmD. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    BK

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Poland

Poland As strong as me
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    They won't allow you to work while you're in the program? I'm not sure if I'll be working full-time while in pharmacy school, but it will at least have to be very close to it. What other options do many of us have, you know?

4. bkgovols

bkgovols Junior Member

Non-Student
    Yeah the person I talked to said working full time is not allowed, but I suppose how would they know? My problem is by the time I get done with my pre-requisites for pharmacy school, I could either have my own store, or be close, and I am not sure I would be able to do that while in pharmacy school. So I am still looking into my options. I am going to try and find out within my company if there are any managers who have gone to RX school while still working enough to pay the bills. If anyone out there has had a similar experience I would love to hear about it. Thanks

BK

5. rxlynn

rxlynn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Well, you can certainly work full-time and get your pre-pharm reqs done - I think a lot of people do that, especially those of us who have been out of school for awhile.

There is a school in the northeast (Duquesne, I think) that has a program where you go to class on the weekends only for 3 years. That is the only part-time program that I know about.

I interviewed and was accepted into Creighton's web-based program. That same question came up in our information session at the interview. They told us that they actually encourage their students to work some while they are in school, but that they have found that students who are working more than about 10-15 hours a week have a much more difficult time keeping up with the work. Therefore, I think they are basically discouraging anyone who they think might be trying to work full-time from applying. They are on a traditional semester system, so you have 6 or 7 classes going on at the same time. I would think that work load alone would just make it impossible to work full-time also.

6. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I agree with Rxlynn. I had to work full-time while getting my pre-pharmacy coursework completed, however I feel that it may be damn near impossible to work a 40 hr week and get your PharmD, although I'm sure people have done it. I think when they say you cannot work full time they are strongly recommending that you don't. I dont think they would kick you out of the program if they found out.

7. bkgovols

bkgovols Junior Member

Non-Student
    I agree that it would not be anywhere near ideal to work full time while in pharmacy school, that is why I am trying to find the less traditional programs, I am hoping that when ETSU opens in the fall of 2007 they might have something that will work for me, if I get in of course. Also that is the area I would like to live in. If they had a weekend type program that would very possibly work for me. I hope that since I plan to stay with the same company that they might be willing to work with me some, since Pharmacists are very much in demand. We will see.

Thanks for the responses so far
    BK

8. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    What you could do is find an Amazing wife like mine!!!! She is pretty much my sugar momma right now. The deal is that she supports us through my pharmacy school, and when I am done and earning a substantial income she doesn't have to work if she does not want to. Pretty good deal I think.

9. bkgovols

bkgovols Junior Member

Non-Student
    That does sound like a good deal, but I could not ask my wife to do that, especially since we are hoping to start a family soon, and that would not work with a new baby around, and we don't want to wait until I am done with Pharmacy school. Maybe though if we could somehow both work part time, while I was in school that would be enough.

10. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The funny thing about that is that we have a new baby, and Although I certainly would rather be the one working so that she can spend more time with the baby, unfortunately that just can't be. That is what makes her the best wife in the world. The plan was to wait to have children, but what happens, happens. I was originally looking at Med School but when she got pregnant, i changed to pharmacy, no residency, better hours and I dont have to move to go to school. I owe her a lot, she is the best.

11. Pharmcdc

Pharmcdc Troches & lollipops
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I had a similar situation. I worked and put my wife through nursing school and my daughter was 2 when she started. We bought a house, and when I finish pharmacy school we should be in great shape. I think that for a married couple it works out best that way if both parties are committed to helping the other.

12. PedsPharmD

PedsPharmD New Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I don't believe there are any part time PharmD programs out there. Duquesne is a weekend program but it's designed for people who already have their bachelor's degree and it is year round saturday and sunday from 9-6. It ends up being the same just a different pathway. Definitely would not classify that as part time.

13. emogrrrrl

emogrrrrl I like my freedom
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sure there's a way to go to pharmacy school part-time, although I doubt it is the way you would like to go about it. In many programs if you fail a class that is a prerequisite for classes in the following semester you automatically drop to part-time.