Part time positions in Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rutgers2015

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering which fields of pharmacy have the most opportunities for part time and per diem positions, and also exit and re-entry, particularly if one used to be full-time.

Another question for pharmacy moms, what did you do when you had children?

Just some curious questions...

Thanks and have a happy thanksgiving!!
 
Last edited:
Home infusion pharmacy is probably the best job on the planet for someone who has a family. May require specialization or residency or experience depending on the company, but in general.....its the cushiest job on the planet.

Retail is the most readily available and most flexible because of high turn over, multiple locations, and open extended hours. However, its the most physically demanding job in pharmacy.

inpatient/institutional pharmacy is a little less flexible, mainly because you have seniority rules or unions that make it less flexible to work for and only one location. However, they do hire on a Per Diem basis, and honestly, its great because its not physically demanding.


As for what I would do when I had children? I would freak out, sell all my belongs, and run far away.........

as you can probably tell by my answer that I'm not a mom, buahhahahaha
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Home infusion pharmacy is probably the best job on the planet for someone who has a family. May require specialization or residency or experience depending on the company, but in general.....its the cushiest job on the planet.

There are quite a few per diem positions available in home infusion. This is mainly because we need pharmacists to take call during the weekends/evenings. You may not get any regular 9-5 hours Monday-Friday. Mon-Fri is relatively easy money (compared to retail), but the pay for call duty is NOT worth it. Therefore it balances out.

I think home infusion is great when it's a full time position (especially w/ OT), but I probably would not do it per diem.
 
There are quite a few per diem positions available in home infusion. This is mainly because we need pharmacists to take call during the weekends/evenings. You may not get any regular 9-5 hours Monday-Friday. Mon-Fri is relatively easy money (compared to retail), but the pay for call duty is NOT worth it. Therefore it balances out.

I think home infusion is great when it's a full time position (especially w/ OT), but I probably would not do it per diem.


question for you and it might benefit the OP? What is the best way to get into home infusion fulltime for a recent graduate w/ no residency. While my rotations where heavily focused on clinical aspects, I didn't get alot of hands on experience doing institutional pharmacy tasks (like IV's). Currently, I'm doing retail, but would like to do per diem in home infusion and maybe transition into full time as I get more comfortable. Any ideas? Or should I just apply.
 
question for you and it might benefit the OP? What is the best way to get into home infusion fulltime for a recent graduate w/ no residency. While my rotations where heavily focused on clinical aspects, I didn't get alot of hands on experience doing institutional pharmacy tasks (like IV's). Currently, I'm doing retail, but would like to do per diem in home infusion and maybe transition into full time as I get more comfortable. Any ideas? Or should I just apply.

At this point, I would apply for a per diem position and try to convert that into a full time opportunity. Still very possible... but you'll have to be flexible with your schedule.

Doing a home infusion rotation during school would be the best way. That single rotation + decent networking could get you a job out of school (or into a home infusion residency).

As further stratification of pharmacy occurs, I would think most non-retail positions will soon require some sort of additional training (post PharmD) in order to gain entry.
 
At this point, I would apply for a per diem position and try to convert that into a full time opportunity. Still very possible... but you'll have to be flexible with your schedule.

Doing a home infusion rotation during school would be the best way. That single rotation + decent networking could get you a job out of school (or into a home infusion residency).

As further stratification of pharmacy occurs, I would think most non-retail positions will soon require some sort of additional training (post PharmD) in order to gain entry.

You read my mind, reason I want to get my feet wet in some type of institutional setting, is to build a relevant future skillset, just in case my current skillset becomes less relevant in the future.

Totally agree, Stratification is happening. Majority of the hospitals in my area are extremely pro-residency even willing to let vacant spots sit unfullfilled, even for the most mundane distribution type positions. I was hoping home infusion wasn't as pro-residency as hospitals are, but I can see them both moving in that direction (hand in hand so to speak). Its so fustrating watching all the opportunities just sitting there but unreachable for me b/c I don't have the necessary qualifications.

thanks for you input.
 
Thank you ALL for your responses. Oh, and feel free to continue to post your own related, I could learn a lot from them as well.

I had a few more questions:
1- When you say Retail is very flexible, in which way? Could I ask to do overlap as a part time thing (so go for like 4-5 hours 4-5 days per week?) or per diem (say, 1 or 2 saturdays a month?)
2-Per diem for a hospital for a pharmacist is every other weekend (both days) right?
3- iFarm :"This is mainly because we need pharmacists to take call during the weekends/evenings" . What does it mean to "take call?" And how much is the pay that you think it's not worth it? Oh, and what do home infusion pharmacists even do?


I kind of want a job straight out of school. How about managed care, mail order, and independent pharmacy?

Also, is it pretty safe to say that per diem is easier to find than a full out part time position (~20 hrs/wk). How little, or how often can per diem be?

Sorry for all the questions, just getting ideas so I know which direction I want to head. I just started my P1 year so I still have a long way to go before any of this, but I can't help thinking about this lol. Oh btw, I would want to work fulltime out of school for a few years, but then change to per diem and later on to part time and later on back to fulltime again. This is all tentative, just a thought.

Thanks again!!!!
 
what does it mean to "take call?"
Most home infusion pharmacies will have an RPh and/or a nurse on call at all times after hours. This means patients can call you with questions/concerns. Home health nurses can call you with questions as well as lab results. Also, if a patient is being discharged from the hospital after hours, you will receive a call in order to get the patient set up with IV meds at home.

and how much is the pay that you think it's not worth it?
You're typically given a fee ($25-100) just to be on call (weekends/holidays are more than weeknights). And then if you actually work (take phone calls or go into the pharmacy) you are paid for that as well. But you have to be available to work that entire time. I have been called into work while eating dinner at a restaurant, working out at the gym, and at midnight while sound asleep in bed. If you do it long enough, it'll happen to you. As you can imagine, making plans (movie, concert, sporting event) while you're on call is risky. Also, I've noticed that even if an entire Saturday goes by without a single phone call (unlikely)... I never feel relaxed enough to actually enjoy my weekend, because I am attached to this phone that can ring at any moment.

oh, and what do home infusion pharmacists even do?
The exact job duties will vary at each location, but it's been summarized pretty well in previous threads. Here's a link. Check out pages 48 and 88.

also, is it pretty safe to say that per diem is easier to find than a full out part time position (~20 hrs/wk). How little, or how often can per diem be?
In this setting, I would say yes. Per diem can be from 0 hours/week up to a full 40 hours/week (when somebody is out on vacation), but you'll almost certainly be part of the regular call rotation.